IGNORED

'72 240Z Drop In Rpm/power

cepakbe

I'm stumped.  I own a '72 240Z, L24 series engine with twin SU's.  When at idle, either when the engine is hot or cold, the idle will drop in RPM with a loss of engine power.  If I rev the engine past 5000 RPM, this might or might not clear the problem (sometimes with a backfire).  The same thing can happen while on the road.  The 240Z runs like a hot rod, then at any given moment the RPM drops along with power.  With the clutch in, a rev to above 5000 RPM might or might not clear out the problem.

Things that I have done recently to remedy the issue, but with no success:

* Service the fuel tank with a new liner.

* Frequently change out the fuel filter.

* Replaced the vacuum lines.

* Check SU's damper oil.

* Installed new fuel pump.

With an backfire when rev'ing the engine, I am now suspecting an ignition issue.  Could there be an issue with my distributor.

Again, when there is no drop in RPM and power loss, the car runs like a rocket sled.  Any suggestion you might have will be helpful.

Thanks, Bryan

Check your HT leads (spark plug wires)

If you pull off one lead at a time while the engine is at idle and just hold it near the spark plug you will hear if the RPM will drop or stay the same. If you get a jolt when doing this then your HT lead has a break in the shielding and is intermittently grounding to the engine block causing your engine stumble.

Is the fuel pump mechanical or electric?  Could be a voltage issue at the pump, at idle.  Low fuel supply.

But your description is a little unclear.  You said "at idle" first, then "at any given moment".  Two different situations.

When at idle

then at any given moment the RPM drops along with power.

The Z has a mechanical fuel pump, and I actually replaced it with a new one last night.

For clarification, the drop in RPM/power can happen either during idle or on the road at speed.  During idle, it can happen when the engine is either hot or cold. 

I'm liking the HT lead idea.  I have reatively new plug wires from a recent tune-up, but that doesn't mean anything.  I hope that a break HT lead shielding doesn't mean a jolt to me!