IGNORED

Need Help Installing "new" Ignition

Reverend

I purchased this kit from my friend pretty cheap. Too bad i have no clue what are all these wires. There is Pertronix kit installed on the distributor, Crane Fireball Hi-65 module of and MSD blaster 2 coil. This came from Z but how the heck there is 4 times more wires than in the original system? I do have no-points system in my car but even with it there is only 1 or 2 extra wires...My friend told me that with that coil no ballast resistor is needed, yet there is one with gazillion wires in it.

I really need your input here cause my old distributor is broken..

20141222_175333_zpsvahk9s1c.jpg

20141222_175328_zpshgkthefx.jpg

I would remove the wires from the parts you want, install the parts individually, then wire them correctly.  Don't try to install the whole set of wires and parts at one time.  You could even install one part at a time and make sure it works before installing the next.  For example, the distributor with Pertronix module should run the coil you have with no changes.  Do that, then install the Hi 6 module.  Which may actually be a Crane Hi 6.  Or it's not a Hi 6 but is an MSD 6AL, or similar.

Here's the instructions for one of the Hi 6 models.  What's the model number on yours?  Found on the web.  The MSD instructions are out there also.  It won't be that difficult, one component at a time.

http://www.cranecams.com/uploads/instructions/9000-6400a_.pdf

you should be able to hook up to a bench top 12V DC supply and turn the distributor with a drill (or maybe even by hand) to make the system work.

This may make testing easier than on the car.

Try to get the wiring diagram from the mfgr for the electronic module.

If you test on a bench be sure to connect the spark plug bodies and distributor body to ground/return to power supply.

• 5 weeks later...

If you doubt the ignition box, you could try a GM HEI-Module. Its easy to install as a test unit, just four wires and its up and running. Doesn't need the resistor block. Here is a photo of mine when I was testing the HEI module.

post-25317-0-03929900-1421946768_thumb.j

The unit was a cheap china made unit (sorry Blue) for $10.00. After it all worked I changed to a Petronics module.

Here is the thread on my HEI mod. http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/49588-fitting-a-hei-module-in-transistor-ignition-unit-1977-280z/

If you follow the wiring diagram in post#2 it would be simple to sutup the module next to the coil on a piece of aluminium plate. Then you can piggyback of the coil positive to the module B terminal and the C terminal to the coil negative. The W and G terminals go to the distributor pickup. You don't need the resistor if you are using a 12V coil.

Chas

It needs something to make and break the circuit to the coil.  Either points or a module with a triggering device.  They would all have two wires though so your picture and description aren't very helpful.  Sorry.  Take a picture of the top.