IGNORED

Fixing Turn Signals/hazards

metalmonkey47

So this is all regarding my '70 240Z's wiring. Although most of what I'm going to ask is just going to be universal Datsun knowledge. 

My turn signals don't work on my 240. Hazards work very weirdly. Flash very fast, then slow down slightly. Then fast, then slow. ALL bulbs are working with no corrosion in the sockets. After running the flashers for a moment, the flasher gets HOT along with the wiring and starts to smoke slightly. Seems like a short, but no obvious wiring issues that I've found. 

Now something I'm not used to is this style flasher. It's a 'Signal Stat' 175 flasher two prong, similar to the canister ones I've found on later year Dattos. Not sure if it's stock or not, but the car is pretty much 100% original. 

Rather then having a plastic 2 prong plug like every other Datto/car I've ever owned it's got two female spades. Is it possible that this flasher could be connected backwards causing a short? Or the 44 year old flasher could just be shot? Do the hazards/turns signals share a common flasher? 

Seems to me that if there was a short in the vehicle harness it would simply just flash SLOW (since the flashers are load based) rather then fast which typically happens at low load, like when a bulb is burned out. 

(SteveJ I have got to come see you soon! Need to pick up some spare wiring harness parts to repair the harness first) 

Your turn signal switch probably needs to be opened up, cleaned and serviced (there are posts on the site addressing that).  Before doing that, here is some low hanging fruit you can try:

1) Change out the mechanical flasher (thermal flasher) for an electronic one.  It will draw less juice and be more consistent.

2) The Hazard switches are notoriously finicky.  Make sure the contacts are clean on the inside of the switch,  On my '73 the current all seems to run through that switch.  Your'70 may be the same way.

haha Thanks for rubbing dirt in the wound Steve  :LOL:

I've already opened the hazard and turn signal switches. In fact, I've cleaned/polished the contacts on all of the switches, simply because nothing in the combo switch worked when I got the car. 

I have an electronic flasher on the way, I hooked a spare up using a 552 flasher instead of the 175 (round instead of rectangular) and it didn't seem to get hot, although I did not run it as long. It still flashed inconsistently. 

Steve, I'd make plans to come over there but I think first I need to find a donor dash harness and new fuse box, trust me... it's a rats nest from the stupid PO's 'mechanic' or as I like to refer to him, sirfuxupalot. 

• 3 weeks later...

Get a wiring diagram from the FSM. And measure wire by wire  ( A to B ) for shortcut first, then start with the control switches. Figure out first what color does what.  If all that works, your turn signals should work if wired/connected properly.

I repaired mine to a few days ago, some where not working, one wire was getting hot also when I turned on the flasher to the right side, and it was a shortcut in the postive wire after some measuring. Not a big job to replace, and it worked again.