IGNORED

Junkyard Clutch And Flywheel Should I Use It?

71Nissan240Z

So after pulling a zx transmission I noticed the clutch was barely worn and still had the writing valeo on the disc. Is it worth it to take it? The flywheel had some light surface rust but nothing major. I have no idea if I have a 240 clutch and flywheel or not as I'm running an l28 4 speed. I'm thinking about going back and taking just the disc or the whole kit and kaboodle.

Are 240 and 280zx clutch disc's compatible with eachother?

The clutch disc is 17 dollars

Pressure plate is 17 dollars

Flywheel is 25 dollard

For what it's worth, I bought a junkyard flywheel and pressure plate with the intention of using them eventually.  I didn't get the disc, it looked like it had grease on it.  And I'm using a used flywheel now, that I sanded clean, from a parts car.  With a new pressure plate and disc.

If the ZX is a 2+2 it's probably a 240mm clutch and flywheel.  The clutch discs will swap from 240 up through 280ZX but need to match the pressure plate and flywheel.  Coupes use 225mm, 2+2 and Turbo use 240mm.

If you decide to do it, get the throwout bearing collar also.  It matches the pressure plate height.  That would be a complete set, ready to go.

Well interesting, so I went back and the flywheel was gone. The clutch had oil all over it and the pressure plate was rusted to hell. Ohwell. Not is all lost as I found an old school usa made bluepoint wrench and 11mm bonny 6 point socket that barely looked used. Score...

I'm down to the odd trim part now, in my searches.  For 280Z's.  I kind of miss the hunt but the garage is full of spare parts.  The first few years I had my car, quite a few Z's went through.  Things have gotten sparse lately.

I've been to the Tacoma yard and it's not as pleasant as the three Portland PnP's.  Plus it's hard to get to.  Don't go unless you know they have something you want.

I lost a great vintage craftsman rachet out in a Rx7 a couple months back. When I came back to find it, the whole car was gone. I have what looks to be a very lightly used valeo that came with my new motor for sale. I would have used it but I had already bought a centerforce.