IGNORED

Fuel Gauge Sending Unit Wiring Harness Terminals And Rubber Covers

hatepotholez

Advice from "z'z-on-da-brain" (Dave Irwin) when he refurbished my rear harness----"Apply heat with a hairdryer right before you install the

boots on the terminals at the tank". He wrote it on a piece of paper attached to the boots! What a thoughtful guy!

I asked Mike at Banzai about using the boots he offers a long time ago and it seems he said they were a different size than the boots at the tank,

but that they might work. I've not purchased and used a set to see.

I'm sure this is another piece Steve Nixon (nix240z) could (and will) reproduce.

Jim D.

"Zup"

Boots - http://zzxdatsun.com/catWiring.php part WH-20

Mike doesn't take credit cards, though. Pay with a check.

You'd have to expose the terminals some for me to suggest a source, though. I don't recall what they looked like from messing with them 3+ years ago.

Thanks, I actually bought all the fuel tank section grommets from Mike. I emailed him to about the boot. In this website it states the alternator boot, which might be much bigger than this.

Lacquer thinner will soften rubber , not sure how long to immerse. Experiment 

Thanks, i'll try this. Also can I clean the wiring with laquer thinner? I want to unwrap the whole harness and clean each wire.

Those "nail head" connectors are hard to find.  I opened up spade connectors and covered everything with liquid electrical tape, Shade Tree, but it worked out great.

56224__35813.jpg

Thanks, that's a pretty good idea. Mine's aren't that bad, but I just want to have a backup just in case.

Advice from "z'z-on-da-brain" (Dave Irwin) when he refurbished my rear harness----"Apply heat with a hairdryer right before you install the

boots on the terminals at the tank". He wrote it on a piece of paper attached to the boots! What a thoughtful guy!

I asked Mike at Banzai about using the boots he offers a long time ago and it seems he said they were a different size than the boots at the tank,

but that they might work. I've not purchased and used a set to see.

I'm sure this is another piece Steve Nixon (nix240z) could (and will) reproduce.

Jim D.

"Zup"

Thanks, the boots and terminals look to be in good shape, just rock hard LOL.

On another note, I am pretty sure I saw this type of connector and rubber cap on another "newer" vehicle, i'll research and see what I find.

Just use alcohol on a rag to wipe the wires and harness clean.  Vinegar may also work nicely.

Lacquer thinner is a harsh solvent so only use it to sparingly to revive rubber or  full strength to dissolve undercoating. 

btw it was used in the recording industry to refresh the rubber rollers on tape recorders.

For softening old rubber I found this:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865303

"I recently ran into a formula for softening age hardened rubber... couple ounces of wintergreen oil in a pint or so of xylene. I just did some intake boots & they went from rock hard to like new flex in 24 hours. I am astounded at how well it worked. the wintergreen is supposed to have a natural plastisizer in it called meythyl salicylate. the test bits did not swell up noticeably and are still pliable after a couple days sitting on the bench. I put another set in mix yesterday & they show improvement, but not as dramatic as the first set. I intend to leave them in until tomorrow & see if they continue to improve. It's the same mix though, so maybe some fresh materials would speed things up.

I got the oil from a local health food store, another source is homeopathic medicine. I hear that sports medicine uses it too."

""With nothing to lose, I immersed them in lacquer thinner and checked them twice a day. The things swell up and you would swear that they are ruined, but they shrink back to normal in a few days. Some guys also use wintergreen available at drug stores and make some sort of brew mixing it with the solvent. I just use the lacquer thinner until the boots soften enough and then soak the boots in the wintergreen for a day. As they start to shrink, the wintergreen sucks in to the rubber. The wintergreen at a cheaper price is also known as Thor Tire Prep #12 and available at kart shops to soften racing tires.""

For softening old rubber I found this:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865303

"I recently ran into a formula for softening age hardened rubber... couple ounces of wintergreen oil in a pint or so of xylene. I just did some intake boots & they went from rock hard to like new flex in 24 hours. I am astounded at how well it worked. the wintergreen is supposed to have a natural plastisizer in it called meythyl salicylate. the test bits did not swell up noticeably and are still pliable after a couple days sitting on the bench. I put another set in mix yesterday & they show improvement, but not as dramatic as the first set. I intend to leave them in until tomorrow & see if they continue to improve. It's the same mix though, so maybe some fresh materials would speed things up.

I got the oil from a local health food store, another source is homeopathic medicine. I hear that sports medicine uses it too."

""With nothing to lose, I immersed them in lacquer thinner and checked them twice a day. The things swell up and you would swear that they are ruined, but they shrink back to normal in a few days. Some guys also use wintergreen available at drug stores and make some sort of brew mixing it with the solvent. I just use the lacquer thinner until the boots soften enough and then soak the boots in the wintergreen for a day. As they start to shrink, the wintergreen sucks in to the rubber. The wintergreen at a cheaper price is also known as Thor Tire Prep #12 and available at kart shops to soften racing tires.""

thanks, I destroyed 1 boot trying to get to the terminal...LOL I have no patience. I found the connectors, now I have to find a cover of some sort

Some great info from the Jeep forum:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/basic-wiring-101-getting-you-started-1340134/