IGNORED

280Zx Transmission Seal Woes

71Nissan240Z

Long story short. Pulled an 82zx transmission with only 160k. Nothing leaking no signs of damage when I split the case. Since the oe. Bearings are japan and in good shape they're staying. However I'm replacing the seals. I was able to find an oe replacement for the rear from altrom import parts but cannot find an oe or equivalent for the front. All I can find is made in Mexico or China junk.

Hindsight is 20/20 and experience tells me to use oem main seals or oe equivalent quality.

Two questions: does anyone have access to part numbers for the front seal?

Anyone know the oem part numbers for bearings or an oe equivalent like koyo?

If I can't source oe bearings the originals are staying. At this point they are probably still better than some after market that is available.

I made the mistake of pulling perfectly good no leak seals before finding a new set. But figured I'd at a minimum change them while I have it split apart.

Thanks for the help guys!

post-18452-0-20997100-1418235004_thumb.j

post-18452-0-53009000-1418235094_thumb.j

These two sites should get you there.  The transmissions used the same seals for the 280ZX's for sure, even up in to the 1990's cars (71C transmissions) I believe.  

Might have to buy a few and read the fine print though to make sure you get made in "not China or Mexico".

http://www.showmetheparts.com/timken/

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsuns30/DatsunFairladyZIndex/PowerTrain/TransmissionCase/5Speed/tabid/1702/Default.aspx

Not to be a downer but the synchros that are commonly available seem to be of questionable quality.  Didn't know you were doing a full rebuild or I would have posted the link below.  There's a guy on Hybridz who did extensive work on these transmissions, for racing, and destroyed many synchros in the process.  I think that he ended up using Nissan factory synchros.  I can post the link if you'd like, it's multiple pages.

May not change anything but worth reading -

http://www.datsunstore.com/transmission-manual-shift-c-202_216_243_271.html?page=2&sort=2a

http://www.datsunstore.com/syncro-ring-through-7083-p-1458.html

I used this website  http://www.nissanpartszone.com/nissan-280zx-parts.html    to find all the nissan part numbers for my 83 280ZX 71B transmission and then sourced them at my local dealer. 

The site only goes back as far as the 1979 280ZX, but for your transmission it will work fine. Also gives you an idea will it will cost.

The carpartsmanual site is great and I use it a lot, but there are a couple of little things that are different in the 280ZX transmission. Like the main shaft nut for example. Mine was left hand thread.

post-25317-0-69235300-1418242220_thumb.j

Chas

I thought you might have a comment.  I remember you rebuilt yours a year or two ago.  How is it working for you?

Yer, couldn't resist.

Its working fine, but its not as quiet as I had hoped. Its still a bit noisy (mild whine) in all the gears except 4th. I think its coming from the contact sufaces on the gears themselves. The sufaces where the neddel rollers contact were dull in colour too which could also contrribute to the whine.

Im probably just being picky.

The shifter works brilliant with the new bushing set and the new synchros. It shifts through the gears smoothly, not the "stick in the mud" feel it had before.

Chas

I'm going to throw another $0.02 here-not pertaining to the above seals, but another one.  I rebuilt my '82 ZX tranny a couple years ago, and everything still works well.  However, when I bought the rebuild kit, it did not have the o-ring that goes around the shaft that selects the gears (the one that he shifter lever rides in up at the top of the tranny).  I had to use the old one and it is now seeping.  If I ever choose to deal with it, I will not only have to pull the tranny, but to crack it back open.  Not a high priority at this point, but I'm just letting you know.

So the synchros I ordered from nissan parts are questionable quality? I thought anything the dealer provided was the best. I can still cancel the order.

Looks like Nissan Parts Zone sells bonafide Nissan parts, so I would assume that you're okay.  Your other post looked like maybe you just used them for parts numbers.  Wasn't clear (to me) where you actually bought them.  I posted "just in case".  Good luck with it.