IGNORED

S30 Seats?

FastWoman

Hi everyone,

I'm considering buying an '82/'83 280ZX turbo and was wondering about seats.  I saw this ad on CL of a "heap" that appears to have S30 seats in it.  I like the simplicity of the S30 seats.  Do they bolt up, or is modification required?  Here's the CL listing:

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4780028494.html

Thanks!

Sarah

Don't know about the seats, but I'm guessing the rails were modified to get them in.

It does have the speedo swapped to a 130mph one from a 79 ZX.  Much better than the stock 85mph unit.  Since it has the analog dash as opposed to digital, it should also have the manual climate controls.

Looks like it has not run for a while, hopefully the price is very negotiable.

I'm guessing Sarah, that you are not actually interested in that actual car, and just wondering if the S30 seats will fit one.

james

Hi James,

You're right.  I'm interested in the question of the seats, but not that particular car.  (I'm considering more in the $5000 price range for less of a project -- something that looks nice, but not perfect.) 

I like the S30 seats.  The S130 seats strike me more as Lazy Boy recliners or something I'd find in Grandpa's sedan.  To me the S30 seats look right at home in the S130.  That, plus a replacement steering wheel and a leather shifter boot, might bring a little more of the S30 feel to the S130 -- and make it look sportier.

Also I was puzzling about the 130mph speedo, and I'm glad someone has identified the source of the thing.  Is that a drop-in replacement -- same cabling and everything?

And do you know which models got Betty?  I'd love to have Betty along for the ride.  :-)

Sarah

Hey Sarah

I agree about the ZX seats, they a very basic & I never liked them in any of the turbo Z's I have owned, (3).  Miata seats are a popular conversion.

As for the speedo, easiest to do is swap the entire gauge cluster from the 79, it will plug right in.  You can change just the speedo as well but it is more work.

Betty comes with the GL models (grand luxury), which unfortunately all have the digital dash.

I don't think you would want the digital dash, speedo is 85mph & the tach is basically useless.

Swapping the digital to analog is not a trivial job, not sure if you can retain Bitchin Betty after you do that.

james

I'm really interested in the'82/'83 turbo models.  I would think there would be some incompatibilities with the '79 gauge cluster.  I suppose I was thinking about the gauges as though they were separate, like in the S30 models.  But what I think I'm hearing is that the panel is one big chunk of instrumentation by itself -- that you can't change out an individual gauge.  Is that correct?

That said, I did manage to transplant a nice VDO temp gauge into a 1994 Miata instrument cluster, so that I would get real temp readings, and not some "idiot gauge" indicator (i.e. reads smack in the middle, right up to the point that steam is billowing from under your hood).  I had to cut traces and canibalize the guts of the donor gauge to make it work, but it worked.  ;)

Oh, and I'd still love to have Betty by my side, but not if it means having a digital dash.  I haven't found the voice module on ebay.  I presume it's a pretty rare find.  I'm guessing the non-GL models still have the wiring and connector for the thing?  I understand I would also have to cobble a small amp.

The 79 thru 83 main instrument clusters are all the same except the 79 is the only one with the 130 mph speedo.  You can change just the speedo.

Also, the sensor for the cruise control needs to be moved from the 82/83 to the back of the 79 if you want to retain that.

The only other difference with the turbo instruments is the boost gauge instead of the clock, and an oil temp gauge.

You will want to replace the stock boost gauge, I put in an autometer boost/vacuum in its place.

Should be able to find the voice module fairly easy from any 83 parts car, most of which are GL models.

It is in the passenger side spare tire area, in the front of the wheel well area.

Had a couple a while back, like a little mini whurlitzer jukebox inside, has a little record with betty's recordings on it.  "your lights are on" "your fuel is low" etc.  Have to look and see if I still have one of the records.

You are right, the wiring is there on all models.  The amp is under the passenger side dash & interfaces to play thru the front radio center speaker.  You can still hear betty faintly without the amp & speakers.  Most owners put in an aftermarket radio and didn't bother or couldn't hook poor betty up again.

Well, if I can change just the speedo, that sounds like the way to go.  Sort of expensive for a few extra mph, though.  Was there some reason for the 85mph silliness?  Surely Nissan realized that wouldn't appeal to the sports car community!  I mean I treasure  the 160mph in my 280Z, even though I know the car will only go that fast if careening into the Grand Canyon at high speed!

Betty is only a record?!  Ah, gee....  Now I REALLY have to find one of those things. ;)

Another question, if I might hijack my thread in a different direction:

One car I'm considering has some sort of quarter-sized blemish on the roof that he says he needs to sand down and investigate.  He says he wonders whether it might be rust.  It's apparently not inside the channels where the T-top fits, but rather behind one of the panels and on top.  Is this a place where rust might appear?

Was there some reason for the 85mph silliness? )

In 1979, the NHSTA required that speedometers show a large 55 and only go to 85 to emphasize the national maximum speed limit and create a psychological barrier for how fast the car could really go. They reevaluated in 1981 and the safety experiment ended. It was a sad time for road trips.

Dennis

85mph....  sort of like an edge of the world sort of thing, beyond which you fall off the shoulder of the road, and coolant monsters lurking in your radiator pop out from under your hood and devour you?

I seem to recall putting an '81 RX-7 through its paces, and I remember having to calculate speed from the tachometer.

Officer:  Do you know how fast you were going?

Driver:  I honestly haven't a clue.  My speedometer wouldn't tell me. 

Dennis is correct.

The national speed limit of 55 went into effect in 1974 as a response to the oil embargo shortage, and was not rescinded until 1986.

many of the auto manufacturers changed the speedometers to reflect the low speed.

I remember driving in those days well.  Took forever to get from upstate NY to western PA.

I never knew that voice had a name.  "Bitchin' Betty" is perfect.  My friend was beating his Mom's ZX turbo around a curve when the rears got off in the grass then caught a driveway culvert.  Upside down and swimming in beer and cooler water, we started laughing when all we heard was "your lights are on, DING, your lights are on, DING, your lights are on"....

She got a Buick Regal Turbo next.  Ahh yeah, the 80s!