IGNORED

Im 16, New To The Forum, And In Love With The Z

cronl3y

For the last several years, I have been in love with the 240 260 and 280z. I have saved every dime I've earned from my minimum wage job since last year, and I have accumulated around $6000. I've always known I wanted a Z for my first car, but now the time has finally come. I've reached driving age, and I've learned how to drive a stick shift. I was looking for advice. I'm particularly interested in the 280z, due to its larger engine, gearbox, and fuel injinjection. What would be a good price on a decent shape 280? Also, I'm interested in upgrading it slightly. I've seen rebello kits, and that's impressive. What would you recommend to boost my horsepower for the value? Thanks for reading!

Welcome to the club Cron.  My first classic Z was a '77 280z and I bought it for the same reasons you are looking at one now.  I was also 26 or 27 when I bought it and it was a second car for me.  The best overall advice I can tell you is to buy the best car you can afford.  With so many 280z's made there are plenty still to choose from and many can be had for well under $6K.  You should easily be able to find a no rust car that may need a seat recovered or a few other odds and ends done for between $4K and $5K.  Since you have saved $6K I would try to spend no more than $5K if you can help it.  Try to buy one that has been maintained but not modified.  You will more than likely end up with a better car that you can enjoy starting from day one.  At this age any 280z is going to need a suspension rebuild at the very least.  Try to find one that has working A/C.  If the A/C and heat work properly then the car can really be a daily driver.

From a performance standpoint, many people start an engine build up with a 280z block but most do not retain the fuel injection.  Getting an engine built up professionally can cost big bucks and could easily cost more than what you pay for your car.  With that in mind and given your age and other things to think about in life, I would concentrate on just finding a really good car, driving it, enjoying it, and later down the road when you have some cash to burn, then look at modifying it.  Many others will weigh in.  In the mean time I highly recommend you reading everything around the net regarding classic Z ownership, buying, repairing, etc.  Good luck with your search!

Thanks for the advice! I know a fair bit about cars. I'm restoring a 1989 Porsche 944 with my brother, and I've rebuilt countless 2 stroke bikes. Definitely not the same, but I've learned a ton, and I've accumulated a large tool collection over the years. I plan on doing my own installs with the performance parts. That's great news financially! Thanks for letting me know!

My name is Francis by the way. I also attended the Z1 Nationals in Carrollton Georgia last month. There weren't many s30 bodies there, but the ones that did show were awesome. There was a sweet right hand drive 280z+2 imported from Japan.

Hardway is correct. Always try to find an unmolested original car to start with.

It is FAR easier to convert stock to modified than convert someone's "modified" to your idea of modified or back to stock again... If that makes sense. Generally if you buy a modified car on the cheap there are going to be issues. And, those issues are generally due to something that got messed up due to being modified from away from stock. Another great thing about getting a stock car is that you have a base to start planning your modifications from. You will also figure out what you do and don't like about the stock setup as well. 

Hop on Craigslist or flip through the local auto rags or the paper. Don't be afraid to search outside of your local area to find a great deal. My son and I found our 240z about four hours away (one way) in a small town in the middle of nowhere for a song.

I fell in love with the 240Z when I was 16 also. Bought one when I was 18. Had to pay for it myself. The day I got the car, was the day I got my learners permit. I had to buy my own insurance also. That was 40 yrs. ago. I bought another one a few years ago. I'm upgrading every thing. I believe both cars were the same years, 1971. I'm putting f54 block, etc. in it. Triple Mikunis, so on. But the main reason I'm posting on here is because I think the early 240Z's are way better looking than 260's, 280's, etc. Smaller body and you don't have the big bumpers, etc.

280s are a lot like 944s, comfortable and easier to drive.  240s are like the early 911s, a little cantankerous at first but you quickly fall in love with that.  Drive a 240, the smaller gearbox will remind you of the 2 stroke bikes you like, they hit hard early.  I've got a 280 that stays hooked up to a trickle charger.  I've got a couple of 240s that are driven every weekend.

I too started my Z passion when I was 16, though that was 32 years ago.   :P

First of all, welcome to the club and congrats for working hard and saving your money.  I know you will have a great time working on and driving a classic Z car.  

The biggest lesson many of us have learned is that you should find the best body you can and put less emphasis on the mechanicals.  I would rather start with a rust free shell for $1500 than buy a $5000 car that looks and drives nice, but has had previous rust repairs or has signs of chassis rust.  Of course rust can be fixed, but starting with a clean car will make your life much easier.  Trying to remove rusty bolts without breaking them will drive you mad.

Don't rush the process and take as much time as needed to find the right car.  Expand your search area to include the southwest.  When I got tired of working on rusty Z cars back in 1986, I drove from Ohio down to Atlanta to look for a clean Z.  I have bought several nice cars from your area, but lately, they too seem to be few and far between.  Later, I started looking for Z cars in Phoenix and other dry climates.  If a car runs and drives it makes for a great adventure and if it doesn't, shipping isn't that expensive.  $1000 in shipping seems like a lot, but it could save you thousands down the road and net a nicer car when you are done.  Also, if possible, find a car that already has good paint.  A good paint job will cost more than the rest of the car.

Good luck and let us know if you need anything.  We're here to help.

Speaking of looking outside your area, checking out this 280z in Dallas.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/cto/4778017086.html

There is no mention of rust but that does not mean it does not have any.  Good thing is its close to a major airport so you could fly in, look at it, buy it, fly back, and make arrangements to ship it.  Or as many people would say on here, drive it home!  Another option would be to drive there with a truck and trailer and take it back.  They are asking $4500 so I am sure if you waived $3800 - $4000 in front of them they would probably take it.

http://huntsville.craigslist.org/cto/4755656657.html

There is a 240z in Huntsville.  For an asking price of $7K and it needs a clutch, they are way off the mark.  However, its closer to you and again, cash talks.  If you can accurately determine the clutch or something related to it is the only issue then you may be able to get it for a song. 

Right now the market is pretty tight but there are cars out there.  As everyone else has said, be patient, the right car will come along.  We all have stories where we were not patient and paid dearly for it in the end.  Keep us posted on your search!

I've ALMOST decided to get rid of my '77 280.  Fresh N42 block and cylinder head with an oiler cam, can't remember the stamped letter right now, with MSA's ceramic header and premium 2.5" exhaust, completely new fuel system.  Bosch pump, all new injectors, tank cleaned and sealed.  It needs painting but so does the other 240 I have.  So I'm thinking I'll keep two 240s instead of 1 and the 280.

post-23570-0-95515800-1417368941_thumb.j

I'm mad at it right now!  Removing the non working automatic antenna and busted my egg on the hatch's edge.  Six staples.

post-23570-0-48757600-1417368774_thumb.j

You don't want to see the before stapling photo, it's nasty.