IGNORED

Why Did You Buy/own A Classic Z

Z fan

Passion. The 240Z is a beautiful car, that's fun to drive and relatively easy to work on. Unless you buy a completely restored car, you have to earn the right to enjoy it. After every drive, as I walk away, I always look back over my shoulder and smile. After 23 yrs of ownership, I still love my Z.

Back in my salad days I fell into ownership of a '68 Datsun 2000 roadster. I wanted an Austin-Healy, but financial circumstances made that impossible. I loved that Datsun, and when the Z came out I wanted one really bad. Finally in 1975, I was able to get a used '73 blue/off-white interior with EMPI 2 pc. aluminum wheels. I really loved that car and put a lot of miles on it. Then I moved to the mountains requiring a 4wd pickup and my beloved zed went bye-bye. Fast forward to 2004. I wanted something to do in retirement and my son said, "Pops, why don't you get another Z and fix it up?" I decided to get on line and found this site along with a few others and went to the MSA show. Returned with a fire to get one, and found a 1 owner '73 with 70,000 REAL miles on it in Denver...NO RUST which was amazing for Colorado. The owner said he only drove it once when it was slick out and said never again. He bought a 4wd and only drove the Z occasionally in the summer. It had a white vinyl top and a disco velour interior...the whole interior, and a not so great paint job (all of which I have remedied). I followed Carl Beck's advice and bought the best one I could afford. That advice has really paid off as I have had virtually none of the problems that pop up here...Thanks, Carl. I've put waaay more $$ into it than I'll ever get back, but that's not really important to me...it's not considered an "investment". It is easy and fun to work on, and it is really fun to drive. I call it my time machine...jump in crank the Airplane, Led Zep, etc. and I'm back in the 70s. So that's my story. This is a great thread...anybody else?

Cheers, Mike

My first car was a chevy vega (notchback and butterscotch). Everyone is entitled to a mistake, then a VW bug (totaled). Then I stepped up to a used silver 71 240. It just felt right.  Drove that car all through college, repainted to shiny black and rebuilt the engine with the help of friends. Many good times were had.  Sold it because I thought I would die as fast as I drove the Z.  Turned around and started driving trucks and SUV's.  I, like many of you,  have always had many Z stories to tell when the conversation turned to cars.  Fast forward to last May and I bought a 280. I literally dreamt about owning another Z for the past 20 years and have now scratched that Itch.  I Feel better now, How much do I owe for the Therapy Session?

Greg