IGNORED

A "pleasant" Surprise..

Werup

Hi Z-guys

First real post in here  :o

Im in the middle of a minor rebuild, weel now i guess it is a major. Ill start a rebuild thread later on. I've bought an US import car here in Denmark, which is a 1971 240z, with matching number L24 and E31 head. Ive been reading up on this forum, about the con and pro's for the head - all very good I thought.

I must admit that when i bought the car I thought that the rough idle was due to long term parking and etc etc. But later i found out from a compression test that cylinder 5 was not doing what the other five cylinder was doing :/ Only 6,5 bar 96 psi.

What i hoped was bad rings and a quick rebuild, what I found was a large crack crossing the piston in the middle  :o

So I guess I will replace more then just rings. I should say that I am focusing on the overhaul of the body at the moment, and engine wise i was not expecting to do any work at this time. I just bought a L28 - F54/P90a N/A combo - which I have plans on rebuilding the next couple of years and let the L24 just run until then. And then rebuild it when the L28 is in the car!

I am going to stay with the P90a head, cause I also found that the PO did som welding (not that good) on the E31 head to save it from corrosion.

I am on my way to buy a press, so i can replace those pistons when they arrive from your part of the world  :)

/Martin

post-25822-0-95876400-1416587577_thumb.j

post-25822-0-46765400-1416587638_thumb.j

post-25822-0-87787000-1416587685_thumb.j