IGNORED

How To Get Out Of Used Car Deal (Suspected Freud)

AMelbye

I'm about to import a 240z from California to Norway. I've been in long discussions with the seller, I've agreed to buy the car for $10.000, and have paid a $500 deposit.

However, before transferring the remainder of $9.500 I asked him to sign a contract for my peace of mind.

He then returned the contract signed with a completely incomprehensible name, and he had removed his name in print. He's also asking for the money to be transferred to a company bank account, possibly his own company, but certainly not his personal account. I highly suspect that he's trying to rip me off, and feel very strongly against going through with this.

I told him that based on this I can no longer trust him. He sent a copy of his drivers license and a newly signed contract where he's written his name in block capitals, but still very hard to read at best. The signature on his drivers license and on the contract are so different, it might not even be the same person. I do not trust this man at all.

He also made up an excuse about the Norwegian language document must have made his name in print disappear. A blatant lie. 

He's now saying that I'm committing an act of fraud by cancelling the deal at this point.

What should I do? I don't care about the deposit, I just want out of the deal safely. Can he rightfully sue me if I cancel the deal at this point? I have not yet signed the contract, but did give him the impression that I would pay as soon as I had the signed contract in hand.

I hope you can help, I'm more than slightly worried! :(

You paid him a $500 deposit as earnest money. If you back out of the deal now, he will keep your deposit.

You have not committed any fraud and risk nothing except your deposit. I cannot say why he is jacking you around. Sounds like he may not have business savvy.

How did you find him in the first place? If it was through Craig's List, it is poorly regulated - like no regulation at all. Ebay on the other hand does a fairly good job of monitoring transactions.

At the distance involved, you have every right to feel 100 % comfortable before transferring additional money. If it gets to Norway and you find it is not as promised, you have little recourse.

Tell him you are taking all the risk and to satisfy you doubts immediately or you will walk. By the way, if you haven't already done so, Google him and the company name he gave.

djwarmer, thanks for your fast reply!

He claims to have sold 100s of cars, and to have owned about 100 Z's through the years. He should be very familiar with the business around buying and selling cars. He also has a good feedback rating on ebay. However, this sale is done outside of eBay, so there is no monitoring or any way for me to inform others if I get caught in a scam. Although I want to trust the guy, I simply can't, based on the way he seems to deliberately fail to deliver the documentation I'm asking for.

When I Googled his name I found a relatively famous actor and film producer, but it might be someone else by the same name. When googling the company I get nothing.

I found the car on eBay, but I was not the high bidder. It was (is) also listed on a lot of other sites. I was in touch with him prior to the end of auction, and he contacted me afterwards saying that the high bidder didn't want the car. For all I know he might have sold it to someone else.

I have already decided that I don't want to do the deal. When he removed his name in print, then blatantly lied about how it happened, I lost the confidence I had in him.

The part that scares me here is that from a lawyers point of view, I have agreed to buy the car, then changed my mind a whole week later, at the point where I was about to pay. This because it took the seller a whole week to get to a printer so that he could print the contract and sign it. I had never expected him to **** around with the contract the way he did... Is it absolutely certain that I can pull out at this point without losing more than my deposit?

If you have not signed a contract, how are you obligated? Even if you made a contract, how would it be enforced? What court would have jurisdiction?

You have nothing to worry about other than your $500.

I would have concerns with a deal outside of Ebay. You have to ask why the other buyer turned down the deal. Was the car misrepresented? Was there a title problem? It should be up to the seller to satisfy your qualms.

You sound like you have already made up your mind, go ahead.

I agree, without a signed contract by both parties, the worst that will happen is you're out the $500 deposit and get bad feedback on ebay.  Even with a signed contract, plenty of opportunities to not purchase the car without legal recourse from the seller.  And, in OP's case, contact would have to be in both English and Norwegian with the translation certified to be true.  So, OP can safely not purchase the car at the point.

If you really want the car, perhaps another member local to the car could go and check it out and make sure it is as represented before you send any money and see what is going on with the seller.

I really want a 240Z, but at this point the deal has gone sour for me. It seemed to be a great deal, but after the last few actions of the seller I'm not ready to do any sort of deal with him, regardless of the state of the car. I simply don't trust him.

I'm afraid I'll have to find another one, and the next time I'll probably come over to inspect it myself and meet the seller in person, this has been far too nerve-wrecking for me :P

Thanks for your help advice, it's very much appreciated!

I completely agree with the responses. You are in no danger of any legal problems. He is simply mad at you. If he were in fact an honourable person, he would be doing everything he can to satisfy your concerns. Run, don't walk away.

Do not go through with the deal if you are uncomfortable with the seller. He would have no recourse against you except to keep your deposit as liquidated damages. and truly, he should be okay with that too since it nets him $500 for essentially nothing. If you are OK with that, go find another better Z. Good luck!

He claims to have sold 100s of cars, and to have owned about 100 Z's through the years. He should be very familiar with the business around buying and selling cars. He also has a good feedback rating on ebay.

When I Googled his name I found a relatively famous actor and film producer, but it might be someone else by the same name. When googling the company I get nothing.

I found the car on eBay, but I was not the high bidder. It was (is) also listed on a lot of other sites. I was in touch with him prior to the end of auction, and he contacted me afterwards saying that the high bidder didn't want the car. For all I know he might have sold it to someone else.

The part that scares me here is that from a lawyers point of view, I have agreed to buy the car, then changed my mind a whole week later, at the point where I was about to pay. 

eBay is notorious for fake ratings.  People who sell there will give other users bad ratings if they get one, so everybody gives everybody else a good rating.  The ratings are essentially useless.

Post the guy's name.  If he has sold 100's of cars and owned 100's of Z's then he should be known to this community.  Nothing wrong with vetting a person who's asking you for thousands of dollars.  And, here in the States anyway, expressing an opinion about how someone does business is not a crime.  

The old high bidder bailed out routine is a common scam technique.  

And, on the same point, the high bidder, if there actually was one, is in the same position as you.  He agreed to buy the car then changed his mind.  He would get sued first, if that was an option.  But it's not an option, nobody is getting sued.  The seller/scammer is pressuring you because he senses that you are unsure.  An easy victim.

Everything about this says scam or big problems.  He might have a car but once he gets your money, it might take forever to actually get the car, plus I would bet that there will be many extra expenses for shipping, and insurance, and miscellaneous.

Please post this person's name.  It's probably a fake one anyway.  At least post the eBay name.