Hello Everibody.. I'm new here.. After more then 20 years being a member of the dutch zcarclub i'm now a member here!

For more then 20 years hobbyed with the Datsun and Nissan Z-cars.. "have owned a lot of them"  serviced them and drove ém.. (240z 280zx and the 300zx z31 and z32 non and TT)

I now have a part for sale..  A Slalom camshaft, partnr is on it saying: E1031   Lookt it up and it is probebly 99996-E1031

On the packing it say's also: 475 lift / 275 duration.

I think it a nice find for someone who likes to make a nice racer from his (or her's) S30?

My question is what is it exactly and how rare?

Thanks and... what a nice new website!!! 

Mart

• Like 1

I'm not finding an E1031…In the Nissan Motorsports Catalogs I see:

99996-E1032 L9 SALOM Camshaft  490 lift and 290 degrees - 

Reground on 109 degree lobe centers, requires 0.160" lash pads, retainers, competition valve springs and new rocker arms.

99996-E1036 L7 RALLY Camshaft. 475 lift and 270 degrees - 

eground on 109 degree lobe centers, requires 0.160" lash pads.

I only checked four or five years for the Catalogs.. and there may have been very minor changes over the years. Nissan USA had local Cam Producers do the regrinds to Nissan's spec.'s - Thus the 99996 numbers.

I've ran both the SALOM and RALLY regrinds in L24/L28's. For the street the RALLY cam gave a little more lower end power. you could feel it around 3000RPM.   The SALOM cam didn't seem to wake up until you passed 4500RPM then came on more suddenly.  Engines were running Nissan Flat Tops {euro spec with 2cc raised area} at about 9.5 to 9.8 compression. Triple Webers.. Ran with stock exhaust manifold and/or headers, didn't seem to matter.

Oh - How Rare?  Not really, several current cam producers can duplicate it, or sell you something better.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Thanks Carl for the info!

That number 99996 i have it from internet.. On the cam rear end is E1031.  It's an Original Datsun part wrapt in DATSUN special paper and covered in a special oil packed in plastic.

Maybe i can look it up on old microfiches.. I do have some Original nissan sets of fiches of the s30 for the fan.

Think i keep the camshaft for future use..

Grts,Mart

• 7 years later...
On 11/12/2014 at 11:39 PM, Carl Beck said:

I'm not finding an E1031…In the Nissan Motorsports Catalogs I see:

99996-E1032 L9 SALOM Camshaft  490 lift and 290 degrees - 

@Carl Beck  After years comming back to this item... It really says: E1031   so it IS a RARE part i think?  I got this complete with the 12 special lash pads and paperwork!

So... how rare is it really?   How i got the part?  I bought a lot of parts of a Jaguar garage that had a 240z in service many many years ago and now i have some nice rare parts ..

It says sLalom on the box writen but that must be SALOM i guess..   I wonder why no one can tell me what it is.. exactly..  and can i use it in a L24 or L26 or L28 ??

Edited by dutchzcarguy

He just spelled it wrong.  I went looking for the cam but couldn't find anything.  It is probably an earlier competition part, slalom cam, with the lift and duration you describe.  In all my parts books listing competition cams, they all say you must use the special lash pads with the cam.

• Like 1

WOW !!!!  AND it's called a SLalom !!!  Thanks HS30-H !   (I could not find your first name..)  Thanks again!!   

The most exciting thing is i got it complete with all the parts needed to install it, even the paperwork!

Now i ask myself.. what was the price of such a camshaft in those days..?

Mart

Edited by dutchzcarguy

On 10/29/2022 at 6:22 AM, dutchzcarguy said:

@Carl Beck  After years comming back to this item... It really says: E1031   so it IS a RARE part i think?  I got this complete with the 12 special lash pads and paperwork!

So... how rare is it really?   How i got the part?  I bought a lot of parts of a Jaguar garage that had a 240z in service many many years ago and now i have some nice rare parts ..

It says sLalom on the box writen but that must be SALOM i guess..   I wonder why no one can tell me what it is.. exactly..  and can i use it in a L24 or L26 or L28 ??

Depends upon if it is a solid cam or drilled. Which is it? Also, if I recall, anything on an L24 cam with over .460 lift requires a shorter valve seal to eliminate valve retainer contact with the higher lift cam.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many Thanks guys, if i ever gonna use that camshaft, i remember this topic.

19 hours ago, Diseazd said:

Depends upon if it is a solid cam or drilled. Which is it?

IT's a DRILLED one!  (I had to unpack it and it has the little holes in the cam's! (i was curious..))

I do have a old L24 spare engine that came in the 80's out of a scrap 240z in the Netherlands and lays completly apart and looks as if it has done 50k Km's haha..  so i could build me a racer engine besides the orig. engine that is still in my '71 car..

Do i need the extra delivering oil pump for this.. because that one was also in that deal? (New in box)... many years ago..