IGNORED

L28 Safe Rpm Range

Chickenman

It's been a long time since I've run an L6 engine, but I used to race L24's many, many years ago. Right now the car pulls really hard to 6,500. What is the safe engine Redline on an L28 with a stock bottom end?

I've have a freshly rebuilt L28 engine with a 280 duration .460 lift cam. New Nissan factory valve springs ( 13203-F2000 Outers and matching Nissan inners ), Doug Thorley headers, 2.5" custom exhaust. Factory balance job. Stock rods. Stock Flat tops.

I will be autocrossing this car a bit next year and maybe running some Track days. I used to run my L24's to 7,000... but on the L28,  I'm thinking of using a 6,500 RPM max shift point with Rev Limiter ( Crane Hi-6S ) set to 6,700 rpm. Shouldn't be any reason to go above this should there?.

Car will likely have a Mega Squirt 2 or 3 system by next year.

The issues isn't the bottom end, the issue is the valve springs.  Anything over 7,000 rpm on the stock valve springs is risky, especially if there's a bunch of hours on them.  6,500 on the stock valve springs is fine.  What happens during autocrosses and on a race track is that you have to stretch the rpms past what's ideal to keep from doing an up and down shift in quick succession.  So, you may want to keep a hard redline at 6,500 but you can gain a .5 second by running to 6.800 rpm before a specific corner.

The issues isn't the bottom end, the issue is the valve springs.  Anything over 7,000 rpm on the stock valve springs is risky, especially if there's a bunch of hours on them.  6,500 on the stock valve springs is fine.  What happens during autocrosses and on a race track is that you have to stretch the rpms past what's ideal to keep from doing an up and down shift in quick succession.  So, you may want to keep a hard redline at 6,500 but you can gain a .5 second by running to 6.800 rpm before a specific corner.

Thanks John. That's pretty much what I figured, which is why I'm imposing the 6,500 rpm shift point. I'll set the rev limiter to 6,700 which gives me a bit of room if I have to stretch things.

We did re-use the old 9mm Rod Bolts and Nuts. So that does concern me a bit. And we did not balance the assembly. Normally the factory balance is pretty good and if memory serves me correct, you can re-use the Rod Bolts once on a non-race engine. 8 mm bolts would scare me re-using them. 9 mm not so much. Am I correct on this?

This engine is pretty much just a nice stock rebuild, with the exception of an HP  Cam. Valve train is all new ( Springs, valves, valve guides etc ) with a fresh 3 angle valve job.  I figure there's no point in twisting the bejeezuz out of it. The original engine builder is a great guy... but a bit of a story teller. Last thing he told me after the engine break in was that the engine should be good to 7,400 !!  Yeah right :huh:  I just smiled and drove away slowly...

Richard