IGNORED

How do you change TC bushings? Step by Step Please.

djwarner

Ok, I finally get around to refreshing my steering gear. Bought the standard TC bushing set from Black Dragon. It appears that the bushings will have a compression preload once they are installed and torqued down. Since the rod is bolted to the transverse link, I am expecting the holes to not line up until the bushings are preloaded. But I've read elsewhere in the forum to not torque them down until the front suspension is under the weight of the car with two 150 lb passengers.

The bushing set from Black Dragon comes with 4 rubber bushings 1.029 thick and 2 spacer sleeves 2.013 long. Do I retain all four washers with this set-up? Will the transverse link move easily to accommodate the lack of compression during re-assembly?

What else do I have to watch out for?

Could someone who has walked this path before give me some step by step instructions? I seek to stay under my weekly cursing limit and could use the help.

Leave the wheel on the ground, or on roll-on lifts when you do the work. Suspension loaded. The holes will all align without much work. The control arm will move back and forth pretty easily with the TC rod unattached. If you try to do the work with the wheel hanging that's when you'll run in to problems with load on the TC rod and hole alignment.

The two sleeves are clamped between the washers, and the rubber sits between. The rubber is not really clamped like the other suspension rubber, so no need to install passengers and/or load the suspension before final torquing. Remove the old parts, stick a washer, the sleeve and some rubber on the end of the rod, slide it in to its hole, fiddle around with the two bolts at the link to get them to drop in, tighten the two bolts, then stick the rubber, the washer, the small washer, and the nut on the end of the rod. Torque it down and you're done. If your car is not lowered much you can do it all in the driveway.