IGNORED

Thinking about installing an BMW M6 engine in my Z

grannyknot

Love it. there are a few vids and web pages of M engines in Z's. I think the engine has to tilt a bit to fit and maybe steering/cross member mods.

The L28 looks a lot like a motor from a unimog (Mercedes m180 engine) and the 280z has a German efi so German kit under the hood is OK

mb_unimog_404_M180_engine.jpg

Call it a ZMW. LOL

• 6 months later...

Well, I think I'm a step closer to my 240Z///M.

I let the ad for the M6 lapse, just can't deal with one more lowballer.

The question now is do I sell my turn key Z that is finished and find another neglected Z to start over with

or pull the L28 and tranny from this car and install the M goodies?\

Chris

I can't image he can $1500 for it right now 0 bids. Rust holes at the structural joint above the quarter window. I don't know that I have ever seen that! Rust bubbles on both front fenders, frame rails, the floors, in the quarter around the gas tank, under the battery, all over...I hate to see low number cars get scrapped but that car will be a lot of work if it survives

Yer, and thats the rust you can see with the paint on it. After sandblasting it can only get worse.

Quote:

Parts not original to the car:
Hatch is a Series 2
Speedometer is a Series 2
Center Console may be a Series 2
End quote.

He forgot the 5 speed transmission.

So you'll pull the L28 and put in the M6 motor?  What's the gain in HP?  Why not find an old 2002 BMW for the motor? 

If you're like me, I'm going to have to spend $10,000 adding on to my garage or get rid of a car.  At this point in my life I'll be selling a car, I'm getting old.

I hate to see cars sitting outside.

Chris, Have made a discision on changing your motor or starting on another Z. If you could do the swap without cutting into the Zed, that would make it easier to reverse later if needed.

I don't know if you have the matching numbers L24? Without it the collector value will drop a lot.

Any idea what power loss you would have by changing the efi for tripples? What would be your option for the ignition?

If you could do the transplant with all that it produced somewher around 250hp. Thats a big increase over what you have now and probably better fuel economy as well.

I came across this bargin today in a saleyard close by us. He has 2 240Z's. This will give you an idea what crazy prices they ask over here.

http://www.erclassics.com/Datsun-240Z-classic-car-for-sale-1190.php

Chas

Wow, maybe I should ship my car to the EU with prices like that. I think Blue is the one to talk to about that.

I do have the matching numbers L24 still tucked into a corner of the shop and a local guy chomping at the bit for me to sell him the mild L28 that is in the car right now.

I sure wouldn't want to start with another rust bucket, I already have my share of iron oxide in the lungs.

The guy who rebuilt the s38  M engine for me said he could source a intake manifold that would accept

triple carbs but he said I would be crazy to do that.

So I need to post a question on one of the bimmer forums, I would have to take the wiring harness out of the M6 and isolate just the engine management systems, distributor, timing, O2 sensor, throttle position sensor, flywheel and water temp sensor, cold start valve and all that and eliminate the rest.

I'm not sure that is even possible yet, the Motronic 1.1 system might be ancient by todays standards but it's still electronics so it's got me at a disadvantage.

The engine produced 256hp at 6500 and 243lb tq at 4300rpm and that was before the after market chips were available so yeah that would move a 2300lb Z along quite nicely.

The mileage I was getting on the M6 last time I checked was 9.3 L per 100km on the Hwy and that is hauling around a 3700lb car. Pretty hard to beat fuel injection.

This is not my engine but still an s38, with that short tranny I could move the engine back 4.5" in the engine bay and improve the weight balance of the car.

Chris

post-25243-0-75457300-1430691138_thumb.j

• Like 1

I would be inclined to make a frame and mount the S38 on it. You can set it up with the radiator and transmission to get it running with the ECU. That way you have plenty of room to work on the harness end sensors.

Once it working, you can then decide to transplant it in the Z.

I have done that on a holden gemini Isuzu when I transplanted a 1987 "Isuzu Faster" 2.0ltr with its efi into it. Gave me plenty of room to work around it. I don't think I could have done it without doing all that outside the vehicle.

Chas