IGNORED

Clutch Replacement Suggestions Please...

rossiz

Looks like it's time to replace my clutch - it was a bit long in the tooth when I got the car, so I figured this would need done at some point, and I've smoked it a couple times doing childish stunts involving high rpms and bad smokey smells...

It's currently functional, but engages at the tippety-top of the pedal throw and will slip at peak torque if I drive like a donkey. I'm hoping to limp along until I gather parts and do a swap on a weekend afternoon. I've read a few threads which give me the naive impression that it's not that tough a job, and I may even invest in a tranny adaptor for my floor jack to compensate for my shortcomings in the bicep department.

My long-term plan is to build an F54 flat-top block and get +200 ponies to the wheels, but that is probably a year away. I don't think the current clutch will last that long, and even if it did, there's no joy in driving a z daintily until then. Soooo... I'd love to hear suggestions on a good replacement setup that will work happily with the re-build down the road. I'm not going to auto-x or run the drag-strip, but I would like something that will chirp nicely in the first 3 gears when asked to ;)

I've seen various ads for "oem clutch kits" and "turbo clutch kits" and centerforce 1 & 2, and 2+2 conversions, etc. and I'm a little confused (my typical starting point).

Thoughts please?

Thanks!

I use a Craftsman motorcycle lift for my transmission work. It has 2 flat rubber coated lifting points that the transmission fits right down in between.

Another helpful thing I've found is a rubber cap for the transmission so the fluid won't dump out all over you. That one on the shifter ears is for nothing, I put it on before power washing.

I used an Exedy clutch kit on mine but will buy a Nissan kit next time.

post-24724-14150830370695_thumb.jpg

I got a complete kit from Advance Auto for $109. Seems great! They have a more expensive one too. While I was at it, I had the flywheel resurfaced at O'Reilly. $11. If you do the flywheel too (which I suggest), get new flywheel bolts from ARP. They are very nice!

I used an Exedy clutch kit on mine but will buy a Nissan kit next time.

Why Nissan over Exedy? Exedy is pretty well established.

I have an old Rhinopac brand clutch kit and it works great. But I don't think that they're available any more.

If yours is stock, it will be a 225 mm clutch and flywheel. Hope that your flywheel has survived the heat of slipping, because the 225 mm flyhweels are getting hard to find. If you find a 225 mm flywheel in a local wrecking yard or CL, you might buy that, and get it resurfaced and ready to go, before you do the job. The aftermarket performance fly wheels are really expensive.

Some of the performance clutches, and some of the lower quality clutches, have a higher pedal force required. I had a Zoom Perfection clutch, that could be used to chirp the tires, but it had a higher pedal force. The Rhinopac is much smoother, but has a softer engagement point. No chirps. The Centerforce centrifugal weight system is designed to give more holding pressure at high RPM. Racing technology that's made it to the street. Might be overkill.

Looks like it's time to replace my clutch -

My long-term plan is to build an F54 flat-top block and get +200 ponies to the wheelsSoooo... I'd love to hear suggestions on a good replacement setup that will work happily with the re-build down the road. I'm not going to auto-x or run the drag-strip, but I would like something that will chirp nicely in the first 3 gears when asked to ;)

Thoughts please? Thanks!

Well if it was me, and I was building my motor next year, I'd take the next step and go with a performance clutch/flywheel setup...so you can take full advantage of your new 200HP+ motor :) On my last build I went with a

Centerforce 2 clutch and a lightened flywheel from motorsport auto. the flywheel has been in service for 2 Zcars and almost 20 years now. ( with 1 resurfacing between cars..and a fresh clutch setup ) and its still burning up the roads in switzerland..

I bought the cheapest kit I could at the time, so much money on the rebuild I was tapped out. I've read nothing but positive things about the OE Nissan kit so I put one in my Hardbody pick up and it works great. I pull a trailer with an Exmark mower on it, 1,500 lbs and it's super strong. I have a Findaza? aluminium 225mm that's going in with the wide ratio ZX 5 speed out of a 2+2. Winter's around the corner so all my projects are coming up soon, damn it.

post-24724-14150830374352_thumb.jpg

If you are looking for a flywheel. Check the weight or get the seller the check it for you.

The Maxima used a +/-18lbs, the Zeds all used 23lbs and the trucks used a 29lbs flywheel. They all look the same, but you will notice the difference straight away when you test drive it.

Goodluck looking for a Maxima flywheel. They are getting very hard to find these days.

Chas

I highly recommend going to a lightweight flywheel while you're in there. The Fidanza is a nice unit, well worth the price IMO. I'm using a 10lb Fidanza and OEM-replacement clutch behind my L28 (0.020" over with flat-tops, shaved P90 @ 10:1 comp, healthy cam, triple 45s, etc). The break-in period went well, we'll see if the clutch holds up when I actually tune the thing. The lightweight flywheel reduces rotational inertia and makes for smoother, less slippy shifts.

I know Matt (Lazeum on HBZ) is running a stock clutch behind his hot L28 as well and it seems to be holding up. If it's not necessary, then what's the point of buying a pricey "performance" clutch? That's the question I asked myself. I was interested in finding out how well an OEM clutch would hold up to a setup like this. I used Exedy BTW, they are a common OEM for many Japanese cars.

If you go with the 10lb Fidanza flywheel and you are still worried about the oem slipping you could use the 240mm from the 2+2. The pressure plate is about 4lbs heavier which means a totoal weight gain odf about 9lbs over the original and 2lbs over the Maxima flywheel, but you get a lot more grip and standard pedal feel.

The Fidanza is drilled for both 225 and 240 setups.

Im using a 240mm oem clutch and lightened flywheel. Its not as light as the Fidanza, but the grip is excellent. If I get around to doing the 71C tranny I will most probably go with the Fidenza flywheel.

Just another option to think about.

Chas

Edited by EuroDat

thanks all for the suggestions - great info.

i like the idea of the 240mm clutch and lightened flywheel, just a little confused about a couple of points:

- can i use a 240mm clutch on a maxima flywheel?

- if so, what years of the maxima will be a straight bolt-up?

- i assume i just order an oem 240mm clutch, is that simply a zx turbo or 2+2, or are there specific years?

appreciate the help!