IGNORED

Throttle opener control valve and servo diaphragm for a 240z?

Where can i purchase a Throttle opener control valve and servo diaphragm for a 240z? My servo diaphgram is not working and i have been advised it will be need it to have the air conditioner system working properly once installed.

Been searching on the internet in several sites but have not found anything yet.

Where can i purchase a Throttle opener control valve and servo diaphragm for a 240z? My servo diaphgram is not working and i have been advised it will be need it to have the air conditioner system working properly once installed.

Been searching on the internet in several sites but have not found anything yet.

I think you might be mixing up terminology a little on this and I'm not sure what it is you're looking for. There are two devices that open the throttle on a 240Z:

One they call the throttle opener, and it's part of the emissions control system designed to pull the throttle open a little when the manifold vacuum gets very high like coasting down a big hill. This device has absolutely nothing to do with the air conditioning.

The other is what they call the FICD (Fast Idle Control Device) that pulls the throttle open a little when the A/C compressor is running to compensate for the additional load that compressor puts on the engine when it's engaged.

Of those two, I suspect you're looking for the FICD? Can you take a pic of what you're looking for?

post-29967-14150829550158_thumb.jpg

THis is the picture. The one in the middle. I think its called as you said Fast Idle Control Device. Please bear in mind this car had never an AC installed on it before. Where can i purchase this part?

I think you might be mixing up terminology a little on this and I'm not sure what it is you're looking for. There are two devices that open the throttle on a 240Z:

One they call the throttle opener, and it's part of the emissions control system designed to pull the throttle open a little when the manifold vacuum gets very high like coasting down a big hill. This device has absolutely nothing to do with the air conditioning.

The other is what they call the FICD (Fast Idle Control Device) that pulls the throttle open a little when the A/C compressor is running to compensate for the additional load that compressor puts on the engine when it's engaged.

Of those two, I suspect you're looking for the FICD? Can you take a pic of what you're looking for?

I'm guessing that since you're wondering where you can purchase the part in the middle, that's not a picture of your car, right?

I'm still not sure what part you're looking for, and here's why... The parts in that pic are not connected properly. The part in the middle is supposed to be connected to the part in the lower right and between the two of them, they comprise the "throttle opener system" that reduces emissions under very high manifold conditions. You see the unused hose nipple in the lower right? That's supposed to be connected to the part in the center. I don't know where the black tube leading off the right side of the picture is going, but it's not where it's supposed to be going.

None of the parts in that pic are supposed to have anything to do with air conditioning at all.

But all that aside.... What you're looking for is the device that increases the idle speed a little when you turn the A/C on, right?

post-29967-1415082965915_thumb.jpgFICD (Fast Idle Control Device) that pulls the throttle open a little when the A/C compressor is running to compensate for the additional load that compressor puts on the engine when it's engaged. This is the part i am looking for.

I'm guessing that since you're wondering where you can purchase the part in the middle, that's not a picture of your car, right?

I'm still not sure what part you're looking for, and here's why... The parts in that pic are not connected properly. The part in the middle is supposed to be connected to the part in the lower right and between the two of them, they comprise the "throttle opener system" that reduces emissions under very high manifold conditions. You see the unused hose nipple in the lower right? That's supposed to be connected to the part in the center. I don't know where the black tube leading off the right side of the picture is going, but it's not where it's supposed to be going.

None of the parts in that pic are supposed to have anything to do with air conditioning at all.

But all that aside.... What you're looking for is the device that increases the idle speed a little when you turn the A/C on, right?

post-29967-14150829658786_thumb.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73246[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]73247[/ATTACH]FICD (Fast Idle Control Device) that pulls the throttle open a little when the A/C compressor is running to compensate for the additional load that compressor puts on the engine when it's engaged. This is the part i am looking for. It is labeled as part No. 4 in the drawing. Please advise.

OK, I'm going to try one more time and then I'm really sorry, but I'm going to have to give up.

Look at this pic. This is the part you are looking for:

FICD_zps1a88d5b4.jpg

See the part with all the arrows pointing to it? That's the FICD that boosts the idle when the A/C is on. That's the part you are trying to find. You suggested that it is part of the EGR system, but you are mistaken. It is not part of the EGR system, it is the FICD and it is part of the air conditioning system.

You don't have one on your engine because you don't have air conditioning.

I don't know where to get one except used off a car that has A/C.

• 6 months later...

OK, I'm going to try one more time and then I'm really sorry, but I'm going to have to give up.

Look at this pic. This is the part you are looking for:

FICD_zps1a88d5b4.jpg

See the part with all the arrows pointing to it? That's the FICD that boosts the idle when the A/C is on. That's the part you are trying to find. You suggested that it is part of the EGR system, but you are mistaken. It is not part of the EGR system, it is the FICD and it is part of the air conditioning system.

You don't have one on your engine because you don't have air conditioning.

I don't know where to get one except used off a car that has A/C.

Okay i think i am ready to install an AC System to my 1972 240z but still need to get the correct parts including this Fast Idle Control Valve as my car did not came with an AC System installed. Where can i get one of this? What other parts will i need to avoid overheating in traffic jams?

There's something I've been meaning to bring up with regards to your A/C install and I kept forgetting. Seeing this post again reminded me. You're looking for a Fast Idle Compensation Device (FICD) to boost your idle while running the A/C. That's the correct part to use. BUT...

I don't see any reason why you couldn't repurpose the throttle opener servo instead to do pretty much the same thing. Instead of connecting the actuator hose to the vacuum control valve, you could run a tube over to the A/C vacuum switching solenoid instead.

So here I've been trying to show you what the is FICD this whole time, but the more I think about it, the more I think it might actually be easier to find a throttle opener servo diaphragm instead.

It's not the RIGHT part, but I think it would work and it's probably much more plentiful. I think every Z from 70 through 74 had one. Even the ones that didn't come with A/C.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

So now that i am ready to install my AC in my car, i would like to know which is the most efficient fast idle actuator / servo diaphgram i can install and connect to the balance tube? I wouldnt like to take the car to the AC shop and find out im still missing other parts that control the fast idle when the AC is on!!