IGNORED

Grease Moog tie-rod end?

frenaud

Do I need to grease this new Moog tie-rod end (see attached pic)?

There already is some grease in the hole, but there's no zerk fitting and the hole isn't threaded. Is it meant to be "no-maintenance"?

post-24522-1415082953813_thumb.jpg

It is not meant to be no-maintenance. There should have been a zerk fitting in a little baggie in the box with the tie-rod end. The zerk fitting they supply has a taper start thread that cuts it's own threads as you twist it into the hole. I found they go in easier if you use a shallow socket on a nut-driver and apply some force to push the fitting towards the hole as you twist it.

I had the same questions as you about adding additional grease, and I decided that I would add some. I put in a little bit until I just barely saw the boot move. Maybe two pumps per side? Maybe just one?

I can vouch for what the good Captain says. I happen to have a tie rod end at my desk. (I have parts stashed in many rooms in the house. The air dam on the dining room table is the best.) The baggie should have a castle nut, cotter pin and regular nut along with the zerk fitting.

Well you have to plug that hole with something so you don't get road grit and water up in that hole messing with your grease. But if you really wanted to, after your done adding whatever grease you want, you could remove the zerk again and plug the hole with a regular bolt. But it does have to be plugged with something.

And... What the heck? Is it time for everyone in Canada to replace their tie rod ends? :laugh:

Well you have to plug that hole with something so you don't get road grit and water up in that hole messing with your grease. But if you really wanted to, after your done adding whatever grease you want, you could remove the zerk again and plug the hole with a regular bolt. But it does have to be plugged with something.

And... What the heck? Is it time for everyone in Canada to replace their tie rod ends? :laugh:

Oh crap, thanks a lot. Now I have to go look at mine before we leave this weekend for San Diego just in case! As if I don't have enough to do already.... At least I know what to do with the open hole ;)

Well crap, there's my problem: No parts bag whatsoever in the box! I opened up the other tie-rod end's box and it has a small bag of parts, including a zerk fitting! Looks like I'll have to check with the place I bought them.

Thanks guys!