IGNORED

Beautiful Blue 240z #6116 - $25,000

Hardway

I do not own or represent this car, just thought I would pass along. $25K may seem high but if the car's quality is as good in person as it shows in the pictures then its probably a good buy for someone looking for a "done" car. A few weeks ago a white fully restored series-2 240z sold for over $22K in Houston so $3K for an S1 seems in line.

1970 Datson 240Z | Austin, Texas | Motoreum

1970 Datsun 240Z

For those who don't know, Motoreum are the guys on the Chrome Underground TV show on the Discovery Channel.

Thanks DJ. I didn't know they had a show. I will definitely check it out. I have driven pass their shop multiple times as they are located next to Motor Mania, a well known VW shop in north Austin. The last time I rolled by they had a car transporter full of C2 Corvettes. Another time I saw them unloading what looked like a mint Duesengberg roadster.

I was wondering where this car was going to pop up. It was sold at the Mecum auction in Seattle on June 13th for $17,000 plus the 8% buyers commission.

1970 Datsun 240Z | Mecum Auctions

You have to log in to see the sales price. I was at the auction and I looked the car over pretty good and talked to the owner for a minute just before it went across the block. It was bid up to $19K and they announced the reserve was over $20K before they closed the bid and it went to the "bid goes on" area. That night it showed on the website as sold for $17K and I confirmed that the next morning at the auction. I believe the last real bid they had during the auction was the $17K bid, and the auctioneer was bidding as a shill bidder to try to get the bid up to the reserve (apparently they can do that). The seller must have decided to take the $17K after the bidding ended.

The seller used to own the Nissan dealership in Everett, WA and took the car in on trade for a new 350Z several years ago. He kept it in the showroom for a couple of years and then sold the dealership a few years ago and kept it in a warehouse with some other cars. He was wanting to get rid of the cars and the warehouse, so he was a motivated seller. After I heard the story I realized I has seen the car a few years ago when I went to a car show at the dealership. His dealership used to sponsor the Seattle area Z club, until he sold it. The seller also owned the first 350Z made (VIN#000001) that he bought in an ebay auction from Nissan. I saw that that car has been bought and sold several times at Barrett Jackson auctions over the last couple of years. I recall the Nissan dealer paid over $100K for it originally and it was selling for about $20K the last few times it sold.

The 240Z was in good shape, but there were some defects in the paint. The biggest issue I noticed was the top of the roof just above the windshield seal, where there was a small unpainted gap along the entire top of the seal. It kind of looked like that part of the car was taped off and masked when it was painted, but the other areas around the seals didn't appear to be masked, so I'm not sure what caused it. The areas around the bottom corners of the windshield were a little rough too. There were quite a few scratches and a few small dings (chip missing from the left headlight bucket) probably from people checking it out in the showroom for several years. The windshield is an aftermarket replacement with a shaded strip at the top. The interior was nice. I only noticed a later shift boot and choke knob.

I took some photos with my cell phone, but I can't seem to upload them right now. They may be too big, so I'll try again later. I also have a video of it going across the block, but not sure how to upload that.

-Mike

Thank you for the info and pictures Mike! That is very interesting why the paint appears to have been masked off at the top of the windshield. I am sure there is a story behind it but we will probably never know. If I am over in that part of town over the weekend I will try to stop by and see it for myself and post up any additional findings.

I would suggest the windshield was left in for the respray and when it was replaced later, they used a new rubber molding. Due to variations in the old shrunken rubber and the new one, the paint lines were covered on three sides and exposed on the top.