IGNORED

Fiberglass replacement dash

madkaw

Thought I would let you guys in on what I am in doing lately in the Z world. I am working with a FG guy to replicate the early Z dash. The goal of this project is to offer an alternative fix for our aging dashes. The goal includes making this affordable, easy to replace, and an exact copy.

Your options now are:

Plastic cover that glues on and doesn't allow removal of your gauges...

or getting your original fixed for about 1500$

Not very good options. It's a shame too, the dash is the biggest part on the car and can be the biggest eye sore.

The FG dash will NOT replace the metal frame work. This project goal is not to lessen the weight of the dash(even though it still might). The metal frame work is what will make this an easy replacement, since it is the necessary foundation to make the gauges fit right and everything else for that matter. Your original dash(cover) is held on to the frame work with screws that can be easily removed, and so will the FG dash. This should be an easy project and a lot less messy then repairing your original dash.

I know everyone is and will be curious of cost, and I don't have a definite number yet. The FG guy talked some really good numbers, but I don't want to go there yet. Of course there will be a CF version available also. Once the mold is made he will be able to make either version. The FG dash should be able to be painted just as easily as what is being done now on the repairs. We have also talked about a texture and color built into the FG.

I am getting involved with this because I am tired of the alternatives myself. I have roped in a young man who is starting a business making composites. I have seen a custom CF dash he did for a porsche and it was pretty. He has been dealing with composites for over 8 years and seems very capable. He knows this isn't a cash cow job, but hopes it leads to other projects. My thought is there is no competition in this field. I know there was an offering years ago for a CF dash, but you couldn't use your stock gauages and it eliminated your defroster panel-no good for OEM.

Anyway, I will update this as it progresses.

A console will be made. More then likely it will be a CF Version only and will not be a stock copy. We haven't talked much about it more then it needs to happen as well as a CF defroster panel to match the dash.

• 1 year later...

Sorry guys but that project derailed for several reasons. One big reason was a good enough dash for a mold. I do have that now, next obstacle is money. Probably 1500$ to get the first one made. I started this thread before my daughters wedding- bad idea. Now my son is starting college , so I will see how that goes this fall

• 2 months later...