IGNORED

Anybody have a heat shield for SU's?

Kurbycar32

But a flat top heat shield can be used with the making of two "S" hooks, drilling 2 holes in the heat shield for the hooks and hooking the springs to the hooks. Just and FYI for those of you out there that come here trolling for bits and pieces of information that this forum is known for...... Cheers.....

Awesome that that's Bruce Palmer endorsed, 'cause that's what I did on my car!

ok so using information found on bruce's awesome site i have determined that the first heat shield you have is for a 1969, I do not have 1969 carbs because they have metal cap screws and mine are plastic.

The second heat shield you have is for a 1970-1971. It has the big center cutout for the heat riser, but not the extra tab on the left

Since i have no intention of using the heat riser or even a stock air cleaner i think ill use the 1969 model. zKars, are you willing to part with it?

Well of course I can part with it.

Now the early ones are MUCH more valuable than the later ones due to scarcity. And I sand blasted and painted that one... Hmmmm... Let's see.... what will the market bear....

$25 + shipping?

• 1 year later...

Reviving this thread since there is some good info on the shields in here... Can anybody tell me the original finish on the heat shield, or have a photo of a clean stock shield?  I know a lot of guys VHT-paint them which is what I was planning to do but as I'm wire-brushing mine to clean it up, I'm seeing a layer of what looks like shiny silver distorted/melted metal from the heat of the wire brush; I'm wondering if that's a zinc galvanization layer.

Thanks siteunseen.  I'm about to thoroughly derail this old thread but since the OP's issue got resolved, here we go!

I just took my heat shields over to a plater and he thought it was zinc as well. He doesn't do zinc plating, he prefers "electroless nickel", but the color/luster is close enough for my purposes. He charges $75 per small order to strip, sandblast and plate which seems very reasonable to me for two heat shields. However, I bet I could add a few other parts and get them done for "free". I know most of the 240's plated parts are zinc/yellow; can anybody think of some silver parts that I could add to my order? Pretty much everything on my engine is dull, dirty grey-brown, regardless of whether it was originally clear or yellow zinc :-)

I've been looking at stock engine bay pics and I see very little silver zinc, which is why I'm looking for suggestions. Thanks all!