IGNORED

1973 240z fuel pump where does it mount?

bstrudg

Hello, it has been about a year since my last post. This car I bought was completely disassembled when I bought it. I am slowly getting it back together and I am not able to figure out where the fuel pump mounts to. There are two sets of holes going through the trunk area and it does not fit there and there are two holes going through the frame and it does not fit there. I have looked for photos of an original and have not been able to find any. I hope someone can show me a picture and help me out. Thank you for your time.

post-25282-14150827581819_thumb.jpg

post-25282-14150827582411_thumb.jpg

post-25282-14150827583013_thumb.jpg

post-25282-14150827583602_thumb.jpg

post-24191-1415082758423_thumb.jpgNot very photogenic, guess I take pictures of everything.

I took it off to paint it, put new hoses, clean the contacts, etc., but after installing a fuel pressure gauge decided it didn't need it. The mechanical FP is OK. Just have an extra fuel filter there now.

Removing the electrical connection on the side of the pump to clean it was a mistake, it was well sealed and the contacts were clean, it's hard to remove the cap that covers it without damaging it.

I might reinstall it with an inline on/off switch, and without hooking up the hoses in case the mechanical FP goes out on the road, or maybe just keep a spare mech. FP in the car.

The bracket connects to the frame behind the right rear wheel.

Edited by Stanley

Thank you so much. The photo is zoomed in so much it is hard for me to know exactly how it mounts. It does look like it mounts to a bracket and then to the frame. I think the bolt above the Phillips screw is the one I see in the photo I have. Thanks again, I am going to look for a bracket like I see in your photo, I might have it.

Hi, I did not know 1973 240Z has a electrical fuel pomp,that is a

exactly same of Z432 from the beginning of production 10/1969 .And some of Japanese

S30s which is equipped factory installed air conditioning system has the pomp too from the beginning of production .

See this thread for more pictures at post #185.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/open-s30-z-discussions/25575-datsun-240z-vs-fairlady-z432-2.html

Kats

Edited by kats

Hi, I did not know 1973 240Z has a electrical fuel pomp,that is a

exactly same of Z432 from the beginning of production 10/1969 .And some of Japanese

S30s which is equipped factory installed air conditioning system has the pomp too from the beginning of production .

See this thread for more pictures at post #185.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/open-s30-z-discussions/25575-datsun-240z-vs-fairlady-z432-2.html

Kats

Not all 1973 240Zs had the electric pump right from the factory, they retrofitted them at the dealer in response to vapor lock problems with the flat top emissions carburetors. Most of them have them, but there is a lot of variation due to being dealer installed typically. For instance my 1973 Z had the fuel pump installed and mostly wired up, but there was never any relay in place to turn the pump on!

Attached is the dealer bulletin that explains what was involved in the retrofit kit and how to respond to angry customers with vapor lock, pretty interesting stuff.

1973 240z 1974 260z fuel system modifications.pdf

Wow Captain, never saw that bulletin before. Never knew there were two kind of flat tops. And good news for dual point distributor sufferers. Now you know how to set the points in just a few hours!

Now I can finally tell if I've got the relays for Jidosha Kiki. Never could hear it running, even from up close but it seemed to have all the wires. Hooked it to the battery when I took it out, it ran good. So who knows. Thanks for posting.

Kats, was that FP on the Z432 for performance? Maybe I'll put mine back on!

Wow Captain, never saw that bulletin before. Never knew there were two kind of flat tops. And good news for dual point distributor sufferers. Now you know how to set the points in just a few hours!

Now I can finally tell if I've got the relays for Jidosha Kiki. Never could hear it running, even from up close but it seemed to have all the wires. Hooked it to the battery when I took it out, it ran good. So who knows. Thanks for posting.

Kats, was that FP on the Z432 for performance? Maybe I'll put mine back on!

Here's a link to the file if you want it. http://xenons30.com/files/1973%20240z%201974%20260z%20fuel%20system%20modifications.pdf

Hi Captain,

I saw the book on eBay a few times before but

I have never seen inside of it .The flat top SUs do

not have good reputation in the US maybe

Japan too I think.All 1973 Fairlady Z series(except Z432) have the SU, but less

emmision mechanism comparing with the US models.

Stanley ,Z432 have the FP as standard, for performance ?

Yes I think so.

S20 engine is designed like that from the beginning,

engineers of former Prince motor company put all electrical ignition system

For 3 twin choke carbs and the FP , all in all they wanted

to do their best for S20 engine's stability at high revolution

to produce max power.

As a side note, S20 engine does not have a

return fuel line to the fuel tank.

Nor any emmision system, so the model Z432 and

Skyline GTR were dropped from the fleet

in 1973 , the time began emission control spread

all over the world.

Only 2 or 3 Z432 were made in 1973, the last one

is PS30-100008 Feb 1973.

Kats

I get the feeling Nissan engineers must have been pulling out their hair in 73, ordered to fix something that wasn't broken. That adjustment procedure for the dual point distributor is just nuts.

My '73 doesn't have a return (or a dual point distributor)either (anymore) , and it's doing just fine.

Edited by Stanley