IGNORED

Clifford Cams (that were)

Stanley

• 10 months later...

• 4 weeks later...

Why does it advise to shorten all valve guides at the bottom of the ad?

Valve lift over approx .460" will result in the bottom of the stock spring retainer hitting the top of the valve seal. You shorten the valve guide to prevent this interference with high lift cams. A common Mod to all Datsun L-Series engines.

The other way around this problem is to use aftermarket spring retainers that have a shorter " leg " on the bottom side. Isky makes these in steel 1624-ST(12) and Titanium 1624-TI(12)

Edited by Chickenman

Edit: Because they may not gain you " enough " clearance.

You can gain some clearance by using the A-series Nissan metal shell seals, over the original L-series seal with all Nitrile body construction ( 13207-21000 ). That can still limit your valve lift to around .480" if you use the stock retainer. I've seen Datsun L-series race cams with well over .600" lift.

You may have to machine the guide, machine the bottom leg of the valve retainer or get different retainers depending on components used.

.120" clearance at full lift should be more than enough.

Note: Post edited to clarify answer.

Edited by Chickenman
  • Like 1

I used to use the Nissan A -series valve seal on my cammed L-series. . The ones with the metal shell. 13207-H7210. Easy installation and gained you some room...but I can't honestly remember exactly how much.

Spring retainer to valve seal clearance is something that should always be checked with big cams.

Looks like these are still available OEM from Nissan. Funny enough..they are a stocked item with most Nissan " Forklift " dealers... LOL

2013681059918.jpg