IGNORED

Problem removing trans rear extension

matria

Hello,

I am trying to remove the rear extension on a late model (FS5W71B) transmission. I was given this M/T so I don't know much about it. I am working with the FSM, there was no stopper guide pin/e ring to remove, ordering parts. Removed the return spring plug, return spring, plunger and bolts, and am able to separate the rear extension about 1.5", but no farther.

What do I do next?

Thank you

Is it a solid "no movement" or a squishy "barely moving"? If I recall right, the shift rods tend to bind a little in their holes in the center plate (adapter plate in the FSM), due to a little bit of mushrooming in certain areas. I'm just guessing, so be careful. I think it just takes a lot of awkward tapping to get everything out.

Could also be that you're not in neutral. The balls on the shift rod move in to spaces on the adapter (or vice versa) if not in neutral and the rod can't come out. Just guessing again. It's probably a shift rod that's sticking though.

Im going from memory, its about 2 years ago since mine was in pieces.

You are probably not turning the gear selector enough to clear the selector forks. Once you remove the reverse selector plug and stopper pin, you should be able to turn it a lot further to the left (anti-clockwise looking from the rear). It has to be in neutral.

Then you should clear the selectors. After that its just like Leon said, a bit of tapping and pulling this way and that and it should come off.

Chas