IGNORED

Air Condition for a Z

Frogdog

Hi all, I have not been to this site for a while. I just acquired a nice 74 Z, this is my 3rd Z, and it doesn't have A/C. I live in Florida and A/C is almost mandatory.....OK for me it is mandatory. Anyone who has added A/C to their Z, a Z that never had A/C I would very much appreciate any and all info you could give me. Where you got your A/C parts, problems you had etc. , any and all info would be a great help. My e-mail is ( frogdog@cfl.rr.com ), you could send the info here if you prefer not to clog up the Z discussions , my phone number is 321-254-3681 if you would prefer to talk. Thanks, Pete

if you're going factory nissan parts the hard parts to

find new are the expansion valve and compressor.

The expansion valve is no longer available at any dealer for quite a while. If you will settle for used parts

then there are quite a few available on ebay or other zcar websites.

The hitachi a/c compressor was used on other cars. Don't limit yourself to just the datsun part number. 80's and 90's subaru's used a very similar hitachi's. I used a mjs170 from a 300zx. I had to change the high and low pressure fittings on the compressor but new hoses had to be built anyways. Condenser I used was aftermarket parallel designed for R134

post-24552-14150826501089_thumb.jpg

post-24552-14150826501836_thumb.jpg

An idea i was toying with was putting the zx evap into a s30. Its bigger and would have better cooling and the expansion valves are still available new.

post-24552-14150826499789_thumb.jpg

Lastly,

if you don't like tinkering with cars then i recommend the a/c kits from

vintage air or msa.

post-24552-14150826500441_thumb.jpg

Edited by hr369

I replaced the factory heater core in my Series I with a VintageAir Mini GenII. Fit neatly in the space without crimping the passenger leg room. Mounted the compressor in the air pump location and used its v-groove for the belt. Works well in our Florida summer heat. Figure to spend about $3K if you aren't doing the work yourself.

I replaced the factory heater core in my Series I with a VintageAir Mini GenII. Fit neatly in the space without crimping the passenger leg room. Mounted the compressor in the air pump location and used its v-groove for the belt. Works well in our Florida summer heat. Figure to spend about $3K if you aren't doing the work yourself.

Having AC is appealing even if it is very limited seasonal use here.

Just curious: Did you install it yourself? If so, how difficult was it to do?

George

I replace the air handler, modified the center control panel to accept the modern control, mounted the condenser coil and ran the electrics and the heater hoses. Went to a local Z expert for the compressor mount plate, compressor installation and to fabricate the hoses.

I went to the trouble to modify the air handler fan location to fit under the fresh air vent and fabricated a vent mechanism that dropped down onto the fan for fresh air and with an internal door that closed when the mechanism was raised for the recirculation function. If I were to do it again, I would use the stock air handler and purchase a gate valve used in sawdust capture systems from a woodworking supply store. VintageAir air handlers do not have fresh air venting built in.

I was able to use all the existing air/defrost vents and yielded a clean installation. I did pull the dash to facilitate fabricating the fresh air vent mechanism. I understand you can pull the heater box without pulling the dash.

Routing the heater hoses proved problematic because I bought bulkhead fittings with 90 degree elbows. Doing it again, I would use the existing grommets through the firewall.

I replace the air handler, modified the center control panel to accept the modern control, mounted the condenser coil and ran the electrics and the heater hoses. Went to a local Z expert for the compressor mount plate, compressor installation and to fabricate the hoses.

I went to the trouble to modify the air handler fan location to fit under the fresh air vent and fabricated a vent mechanism that dropped down onto the fan for fresh air and with an internal door that closed when the mechanism was raised for the recirculation function. If I were to do it again, I would use the stock air handler and purchase a gate valve used in sawdust capture systems from a woodworking supply store. VintageAir air handlers do not have fresh air venting built in.

I was able to use all the existing air/defrost vents and yielded a clean installation. I did pull the dash to facilitate fabricating the fresh air vent mechanism. I understand you can pull the heater box without pulling the dash.

Routing the heater hoses proved problematic because I bought bulkhead fittings with 90 degree elbows. Doing it again, I would use the existing grommets through the firewall.

Thanks, Dale, for your insightful response.

I'm going to send you a PM

George

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few pictures of the build.

post-27817-14150826698482_thumb.jpg

These compare the GEN II Mini and shows the vent/door configuration.

post-27817-14150826699795_thumb.jpg

In order to align the fan with the vent, I inverted the fan and added an air box made from a Radio Shack Project Box. I cannibalized a lever from the OEM heater control to construct the fresh air - recirculate control.

One point I should make, modifying the air handler probably voided the warranty. If I were doing it again, I would have used a woodworking dust exhaust gate and built an air box that moved with the gate leaving the air handler stock.

post-27817-14150826697524_thumb.jpg

post-27817-14150826697777_thumb.jpg

post-27817-14150826697995_thumb.jpg

post-27817-14150826698213_thumb.jpg

post-27817-14150826698704_thumb.jpg

post-27817-14150826698943_thumb.jpg

post-27817-14150826699569_thumb.jpg

Edited by djwarner