IGNORED

Starting a new project...Subaru STI Differential swap into my Z

Jeff G, Your points are valid, and perhaps I did not find the best solution, but I think a factory set up LSD form subaru (my favorite car company, so I am biased) may prove more robust than anything I can set up in my garage. HOnestly, I never even heard about OBX until right now. But I went with what makes me feel comfortable. I trust Subaru, I trust Wolf Creek Racing, and I trust myself to put those together.

:)

There was a lot of OBX talk on hybridZ. It's a Quaife/Torsen copy and other than the fact that many of the units are assembled wrong, they seem to work very well. Buyers usually disassemble the units when they get them and make sure that the assembly is correct. If not, it's a simple reassembly in the right orientation to fix the mistake. Once assembled correctly, the buyers have had very good success with the OBX unit.

Again, I'm not questioning your decision, I just wondered if you weighed the options. The OBX LSD is fairly unknown outside of the hybridZ world so I understand that you hadn't heard of it. I'm not sure why nobody knows about it, but I've never heard any chatter on this site about the OBX.

Well truth be told an OEM stock 240Z really does not Need a LSD. I am not sure I even still need one with the sticky 205 rubber I am running on my car. But it is sort of part of the package, so I welcome it, but I am not sure it will be a dramatic difference.

Also, this will finally give me an excuse to install my RT Zsonthebrain diff mount as well. So a lot of things are going to happen once parts start to arrive.

Kudos to Todd at Wolf Creek by the way. Shipped it out the same day I orderd it.

Great service.

I ave the OBX in the R200 3.54 rear in my 280Z ITS race car. It has all the upgraded bolts, wachers, etc. It's seen 2+ years of auto-x and a year of road racing. No problems.

Chuck

So how long did it take you to do the work? And did you get the parts from the guy on Hybridz? What would you estimate you spent, all told, by the time you got it installed? Just to fill in the blanks for a good comparison to a diff and half-shaft swap.

Well truth be told an OEM stock 240Z really does not Need a LSD. I am not sure I even still need one with the sticky 205 rubber I am running on my car. But it is sort of part of the package, so I welcome it, but I am not sure it will be a dramatic difference.

Also, this will finally give me an excuse to install my RT Zsonthebrain diff mount as well. So a lot of things are going to happen once parts start to arrive.

Kudos to Todd at Wolf Creek by the way. Shipped it out the same day I orderd it.

Great service.

I think I remember John Coffey stating that the LSD is the single best improvement you can do for handling. With the STI set up it is one of the easiest also. The LSD is not that exotic for an OEM , just a very nice option.

There was a lot of OBX talk on hybridZ. It's a Quaife/Torsen copy and other than the fact that many of the units are assembled wrong, they seem to work very well. Buyers usually disassemble the units when they get them and make sure that the assembly is correct. If not, it's a simple reassembly in the right orientation to fix the mistake. Once assembled correctly, the buyers have had very good success with the OBX unit.

Again, I'm not questioning your decision, I just wondered if you weighed the options. The OBX LSD is fairly unknown outside of the hybridZ world so I understand that you hadn't heard of it. I'm not sure why nobody knows about it, but I've never heard any chatter on this site about the OBX.

Good option for the gear head- bad for the novice. That's why an OEM( very good OEM) was the best option for me. I wouldn't know if I was putting the OBX in a wore out diff or not. I've read on the Subby sites that the r180LSD is good for 400hp and it was made in this century!!

Did someone say OBX? Yes it works, and it's pretty darned tough. I am going on about 3-4 years with it now (about 350RWHP). No issues. I actually, opened up the back of my R200, and swapped in the OBX unit with the 200m ring gear from the R200 swapped onto it. I reused the shims that were already in the R200, bolted it up, checked the gear lash which was fine, and filled it with oil. I like it. My only gripe is that it does clunk, but so did the R200 before I installed the OBX. If the STi unit can eliminate the clunk, that would be a plus. Yes, my clunk is coming from the diff internals...it has been thoroughly investigated externally. I am not sure if its from the OBX, the pinion, the ring, or splines. Good luck with the STi Diff install, please report on it.

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/88099-obx-differential-inspection-and-installation/?hl=obx < The picture in this thread is a photo of my OBX unit when I discovered that they were assembled BACKWARDS!

Edited by cygnusx1