IGNORED

Lemons Race car....carb questions

jrtester

Hi all-

We recently picked up a 74 260z with an L28, carbuerated, for racing in Lemons. We had to put in a new fuel pump, fix a stuck float on rear carb (round tops), new NGK plugs, and put in a battery. Here is our problem:

Car runs awesome for awhile. then it develops a flat spot that it wont accelerate. IF we let the car sit and idle for a few minutes, it will run well again. Any ideas? Car is a BLAST to drive and we are really excited. We are thinking perhaps no fuel vent return line is the culprit. Any ideas would be great. Thanks!!

Probably not the pump but more of an obstruction issue. What's the history on the tank?

Also a possibility of heat effecting ignition somehow?

Tank unknown. The car ran last year with the previous owner. It has been sitting. We drained and filled with fresh gas. I suppose thatsa possibility with ignition. We thought we would try to get the fuel pressure correct and then start looking at other things. I have read that these carbs can get vapor locked if they don't have a fuel return line connected? Great idea with the fuel pressure gauge in line to make sure it is staying consistent. We will keep you posted and thanks!!

OMG, yes, that could have an effect. No pressure equalization, pump starts sucking the tank flat..... things go downhill quickly.

There is supposed to be a small vent in the gas cap, make sure it's not plugged. Early caps didn't have it, 74 though sure should. If your cap has a flat bar to grab, it should have a vent.

Thanks all. were going to drain and pull tanks this weekend. quick question, would capping off the vent lines at the tank potentially cause this? PO capped them off.perhaps no air can get in to replace fuel being pulled out?

So that's why I can't fill my lawn mower with my gas can when the little cap is on in the back. I thought the little cap was for my weed eater fillin