IGNORED

Z35 the new 240?

240260280z

What are you guys objections to the car design in the link? What don't you like?

Charles

Where do I start? Too many angles. Too many useless creases and surface features. The chopped roof & greenhouse. The lack of outward view. The lack of heritage.

And that's just a start.

Nissan as a company has lost its way. I have no hope for them to recapture the essence of the 240Z. Why wait...do what I did...buy a BRZ.

It looks like once again Nissan is following the pack, not leading it. Regretably, turbo 4s have become the default "performance" engine choice for small cars. Ford, Hyundai, G.M. and others have put cars out in the past year or two where they are slapping a turbo on an undersized 4 to try to make it "feel" like a 6. Now Nissan is trying to catchup.

Personally, I have zero interest in being "weaned" off of the 6 cylinder engine. I don't care if it has 400 hp, I will not buy another car with a 4 cylinder engine, turbo or not.

As a result of needing to be able to haul our granddaughters around, this spring I traded my V6 truck for an old Mercury with a V8, meaning that my Z is the only 6 we have in the house. Both of our daily drivers now have a V8. I made it through the last iteration of the turbo 4 madness without owning one. I will not give in this time either.

Let's consider some of the economics of the new Z car. What parts bin does Nissan plan on raiding? What platform might they use? Will the compromises be worth it?

My memory goes back to some of Carl Beck's rants about the 350Z - Too heavy, too high on the beltline (I think he said that.), too expensive, etc. It's difficult to make a cheap, fast, safe car. If Nissan adds in overboard styling to the compromises they must make for affordability, I know I wouldn't ever be in line for the car.

This should be the car for future readers in case the link dies:

post-18366-14150825499776_thumb.jpg

What would the new Z look like if they got rid of the creases and made the front look more like an early Z?

I wouldn't be in the market for it either but I find myself wondering will anyone ever make a car that I might like as much as the earlier Zs? I am attracted to the early Z due to its drop dead good looks (my opinion), its light weight, performance and handling plus it is relatively cheap.

Edited by Mikes Z car