• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Blue

Blue

Nova Scotia,Canada,Earth

• Moderators
  • 4,134 posts
  • LocationNS
datsun is now out so a new datsun z would be nice: New Nissan Z Car, Code-Named Z35, in Pipeline - Motor Trend

I'd like to see them do a new 50 year roadster first then a 50 year Z.
[h=6]There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply.
The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.[/h][h=6]John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)[/h]

ZCars in Eastern Canada seaport ready for shipment to Europe

http://ZSportCanada.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SteveJ

SteveJ

No more body roll!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,674 posts
  • LocationGainesville, GA
All I can say is that I hope the artists are very wrong on what the new Z might look like.
73 240Z
74 260Z

Blue's collection of tech tips - A great place to look for answers
XenonS30 -The cheap source for FSMs
Georgia Z Club
Fiddling with Z Cars - Z car tips & tricks and pictures of my car-loving life.
Steve's CARtography - Just car pictures.

Travel'n Man

Travel'n Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts
  • LocationWestern North Carolina
I agree with Steve. There are some great looking cars out there now from many auto-makers. Nissan needs to step up to the challenge -not backwards.

Life's a journey; enjoy the ride!

Mitchell
L28 - N42 Block w/Flat tops - N42 Rebello Head & Cam - Triple 40 PHH Mikuni's - Headers - Recaro Seats -
R180 LSD 3.9 Diff - Close Ratio 5 Speed - Vented Brake Upgrade w/ Porterfield High Performance Pads & Shoes

1972 Datsun 240z

img_2856-text.jpg

HLS30-75040

Blue

Blue

Nova Scotia,Canada,Earth

• Moderators
  • 4,134 posts
  • LocationNS
It was alluded to at Zcon there would be something announced in November.
[h=6]There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply.
The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.[/h][h=6]John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)[/h]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Patcon

Patcon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC
What are you guys objections to the car design in the link? What don't you like?
Charles

Gary in NJ

Gary in NJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationAmongst the twisty roads

What are you guys objections to the car design in the link? What don't you like?
Charles

Where do I start? Too many angles. Too many useless creases and surface features. The chopped roof & greenhouse. The lack of outward view. The lack of heritage.

And that's just a start.

Nissan as a company has lost its way. I have no hope for them to recapture the essence of the 240Z. Why wait...do what I did...buy a BRZ.
Gary
Guardian of HLS30-91415
Previous Owner of a 10/70 240Z ('83-'85)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Walter Moore

Walter Moore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis
It looks like once again Nissan is following the pack, not leading it. Regretably, turbo 4s have become the default "performance" engine choice for small cars. Ford, Hyundai, G.M. and others have put cars out in the past year or two where they are slapping a turbo on an undersized 4 to try to make it "feel" like a 6. Now Nissan is trying to catchup.

Personally, I have zero interest in being "weaned" off of the 6 cylinder engine. I don't care if it has 400 hp, I will not buy another car with a 4 cylinder engine, turbo or not.

As a result of needing to be able to haul our granddaughters around, this spring I traded my V6 truck for an old Mercury with a V8, meaning that my Z is the only 6 we have in the house. Both of our daily drivers now have a V8. I made it through the last iteration of the turbo 4 madness without owning one. I will not give in this time either.
'71 240Z, Because any fool can drive fast in a straight line.

Patcon

Patcon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC
I am not a fan of the turbo 4 either but I don't mind the lines on the design car. Right now many of the high performance cars are going thru a very "edgey" type of design phase...
C

Blue

Blue

Nova Scotia,Canada,Earth

• Moderators
  • 4,134 posts
  • LocationNS
Well if a four cylinder turbo can be this: BMW M12 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia then it can't be too bad. The s2000 has a fun 4 banger for the street....if Nissan keeps the weight down then it would also help.

A turbo 4 in NEW 510 would be fitting.... and an I6 for a new 6 of course.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SteveJ

SteveJ

No more body roll!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,674 posts
  • LocationGainesville, GA
Let's consider some of the economics of the new Z car. What parts bin does Nissan plan on raiding? What platform might they use? Will the compromises be worth it?
My memory goes back to some of Carl Beck's rants about the 350Z - Too heavy, too high on the beltline (I think he said that.), too expensive, etc. It's difficult to make a cheap, fast, safe car. If Nissan adds in overboard styling to the compromises they must make for affordability, I know I wouldn't ever be in line for the car.
73 240Z
74 260Z

Blue's collection of tech tips - A great place to look for answers
XenonS30 -The cheap source for FSMs
Georgia Z Club
Fiddling with Z Cars - Z car tips & tricks and pictures of my car-loving life.
Steve's CARtography - Just car pictures.

HS30-H

HS30-H

++++++++

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts
  • LocationLondon, England, UK.

My memory goes back to some of Carl Beck's rants about the 350Z - Too heavy, too high on the beltline (I think he said that.)....

Nah, he was talking about 'Mad' Mike Taylor and his snazzy trousers ( that's Pants to you ).

Mikes Z car

Mikes Z car

Walmart greeter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationCalifornia (emerald triangle)
This should be the car for future readers in case the link dies:

New Nissan Z Car Code-Named Z35.jpg

What would the new Z look like if they got rid of the creases and made the front look more like an early Z?
I wouldn't be in the market for it either but I find myself wondering will anyone ever make a car that I might like as much as the earlier Zs? I am attracted to the early Z due to its drop dead good looks (my opinion), its light weight, performance and handling plus it is relatively cheap.

Edited by Mikes Z car, 02 September 2013 - 11:21 AM.

Stanley

Stanley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • LocationRedondo beach
Transformer.

Blue

Blue

Nova Scotia,Canada,Earth

• Moderators
  • 4,134 posts
  • LocationNS
If you look from the back to the front, you can see a nice shape forming with smooth lines...I think there is a nice car underneath that drawing but Nissan 'stuck" an ugly virtual body kit on the nose hood and sides to still keep these parts secret (like camouflage vinyl on early test mules at the track). The convoluted "Angry Bird Face (even with a beak)" and reverse-mustang side swooshes are not "z" and seem to give it away.

Edited by Blue, 03 September 2013 - 03:32 AM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blue

Blue

Nova Scotia,Canada,Earth

• Moderators
  • 4,134 posts
  • LocationNS
Z35!? | Japanese Magazine Scan on a blog

Edited by Blue, 03 September 2013 - 08:54 AM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blue

Blue

Nova Scotia,Canada,Earth

• Moderators
  • 4,134 posts
  • LocationNS
Nissan Z35 confirmed for Tokyo show | carsguide.com.au

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bartsscooterservice

bartsscooterservice

It's awesome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • LocationGendt, The Netherlands
New Nissan Z Car, Code-Named Z35, in Pipeline - Motor Trend

It's a nice car, but they just don't make em like they used to anymore. It will weigh around 1300 kg, that's 300 more the the 240Z. And they are going 4 cylinder turbo :(

I don't like today's styling features either, are the designers on drugs ?
Those big wheels also look ridiculous.

For me personally the old cars have a certain feel and emotion to them.. it's all metal and mechanical, while the new stuff is alot of plastics, computers and much easier to drive hence all the modern stuff, also more silent on the inside.
HLS30 32581, 5/71 Matching numbers

Jay Leno : You know one week after the Americans have walked on the moon, the Japanese introduced this sports car, and…if you’re a car guy pretty equal. I mean walking on the moon was pretty good, but how many times you’d gonna walk on the moon? But here was an affordable sports car that had real performance and looked like it cost a lot more than it did.

psdenno

psdenno

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationSoCal Desert

For me personally the old cars have a certain feel and emotion to them.. it's all metal and mechanical, while the new stuff is alot of plastics, computers and much easier to drive hence all the modern stuff, also more silent on the inside.

Let's hope the new plastic in the dash holds up better than the plastic they used in the '70s Z dashes.
Dennis
1971 240Z - Original Owner
2010 Infiniti G37 Convertible

motorman7

motorman7

ZCCIV Webmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Where do I start? Too many angles. Too many useless creases and surface features. The chopped roof & greenhouse. The lack of outward view. .

The sharp angle creases, etc. are all there because this is the concept car. By the time the accountants are finished with the design it will look like the 370Z. The final cars NEVER look like the concept.

Case in Point: The Nissan Design center in La Jolla produced a beautiful looking Altima with gorgeous lines and styling. I saw the model in their facility. What was produced by the factory from that design looks like the old Altima. Sad but true. I am guessing this Z will undergo the same transformation.
 [/HR]HLS30-02614 in the Cocoon
HLS30-40147 Very Yellow Daily Driver
HLS30-40498 Next resto
SPL311-27444 It lives
http://www.rcdeng.com

gnosez

gnosez

'72 240Z(G) 3.2L

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationMA
11/22/13

......and it looks like a bad BMW coupe.....
if a little knowledge can make you dangerous, I'm a little dangerous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users