IGNORED

mild camshaft ?

hi guys im chasing a mild cam for my l28 dose anyone no weather u can still get billet cam shafts or do u have to get the standard one ground .im looking on the net and not getting much info.id rather not have to change lash pads etc.any info would be great

Changing lash pads is only required when the wipe pattern is not centered om the pad. Stock spec pads are .160 of an inch i believe.

I would just get the stock cam reground. The ppl doing the regrind will give u a valve lash spec and u take that number with u so when u do ur wipe test u see if u need thicker pads. Some ppl put little snipets of feeler guage to get the correct wipe pattern. Personallu i would just use new pads accordingly.

If you go thru the MANY threads where owners comment on camshaft selection- MANY regret not going bigger as it doesn't effect drivability that much to have a big cam. I'm running stage 2 and it is as civilized as stock. If you read articles by Racer Brown , he comments how these engines like big cams.

I can't wait to go bigger, but I'm not disappointed with milder cam .

Being you already have the L28, you have some displacement and torque, now give it some HP.

Remember , the power is in the head, make use of it.

I had a F54 with stock N42 head with what was called a stage II Cam (Schneider stage II 274/274 you can get at MSA).

With regular distributor (Mallory Unilite) I wasn't able to get easily the advance the engine would require to get full power. I was only able to run 29° max advance. With spring kit, I could have been able to adjust somehow timing (maybe!)

Going bigger on cam allows also engine to run with lower dymanic compression ratio where ping accurs. it should help to get engine running good.

Regarding driveability, you're driving a 2300/2600lbs car with 2.8L engine, you should be smooth to drive.

Today, I've got a much more agressive cam made by Rebello (called street cam with tight lash - I've got a reference number I need to dig from my documents if you'd like to know) on custom p79 head, 3xDCOE & Mejajolt ignition. Engine idle is set at 800rpm. In traffic jam is goes as low as 600rpm without any problem sometimes.

At 2000rpm in 5th gear on roads going up with a 7% slope was no problem at all (but I run Megajolt so timing at this condition was 49° - it is hard to get on regular dizzy)

So go BIG also :)

Edited by Lazeum