IGNORED

240z alternator upgrade (instructions w/ pictures)

Jarvo2

There is not a pump in my tank i have no gas tank in at the moment (the tank is rusted) And my fuel cell doesnt have a pump. I am only running the stock mechanical one, plus my numbers are too early. Its very confusing, as a deaf man use to own the car and i tried communicating as well as i could. I think he may have rewired the car because, with the regulator unplugged my car should still run with the key off right?

If I can find it (and have time and can remember to look), I have the added wiring harness that was used for the electric fuel pump. I can take a picture of it so you can see if you have one in your engine bay.

• 3 weeks later...

I have this blog saved! I just did the alt upgrade! Seems better. However, I was checking amps and volts at the battery. volts were like 13.80 up to 14.09 i believe. anyways im not worried about that. the amps is what i am concerned about. I installed it and it was like 30~40 amps. then i went for a drive, the car died, i believe it was vapor lock, anyways got back and checked amps and it was like ~50. my question is, is that ok? also im gonna need some help locating the fuseable links on my car as i dont want to overload 40yr old fuseable links.

Im totally doing the oil switch so i can have an electrical fuel pump too! im just a little confused on the wiring from the relay. like 87 on the relay. the + wire. does that connect to the inline fuse behind the dash? and from the oil pressure switch, the wiring running from I. did you run that to an existing wire before the fuse or install one? I will have to physically go and look at this stuff soon, trying to get my tach to work and switch to the 280zx dizzy. Ive got some strange wiring going on there. hmp. again awesome write up and awesome illustrations for the ALT upgrade!

3ryce:

For the relay, 87 is the power feed (once the 'system' is working i.e. oil pressure detected, ignition turned on, etc.) which then goes to the fuel pump itself through the green wire behind the radio. I just put a simple inline fuse for an added safety measure. Glad you guys are enjoying my write-ups!

Ok, i think i get it. my z actually has a working electric fuel pump with stock wiring, however what i dont like it when i turn it to acc the pump it on. I hope to fix that with the oil pressure switch. Yes i enjoy your blog very much! thanks again for doing that!

• 1 year later...

I'm trying to write a specific instruction sheet for the 73' 240Z ZX alternator conversion that will allow owners to correctly identify the yellow wire on the fuel pump relay pack, located on the passenger side kick panel, and how to cut it, connect to it and run it to an ignition point or oil pressure safety switch.

What I need is a 73' 240Z owner to take a decent picture of the fuel pump relays, there location on the passenger side kick and a clear picture of the yellow wire, that is connected to the relay from the voltage regulator.

Once I can show people where to locate the wire, I can show them how to wire it into a relay, a switch or Oil pressure safety switch to control the relay without draining the battery.  The ZXP or ZX alternator adapter plug that I Still make and sell to MSA for sale through them, CAN be used on the 73's once the instructions are more clear to the average "I don't do electrical" 73' 240Z owners.

So please post pictures of the fuel pump relay(s) and the yellow wire.

I and everyone else will greatly appreciate it.

Dave

• 1 year later...
On 3/11/2015 at 10:05 PM, Zs-ondabrain said:

I'm trying to write a specific instruction sheet for the 73' 240Z ZX alternator conversion that will allow owners to correctly identify the yellow wire on the fuel pump relay pack, located on the passenger side kick panel, and how to cut it, connect to it and run it to an ignition point or oil pressure safety switch.

What I need is a 73' 240Z owner to take a decent picture of the fuel pump relays, there location on the passenger side kick and a clear picture of the yellow wire, that is connected to the relay from the voltage regulator.

Once I can show people where to locate the wire, I can show them how to wire it into a relay, a switch or Oil pressure safety switch to control the relay without draining the battery.  The ZXP or ZX alternator adapter plug that I Still make and sell to MSA for sale through them, CAN be used on the 73's once the instructions are more clear to the average "I don't do electrical" 73' 240Z owners.

So please post pictures of the fuel pump relay(s) and the yellow wire.

I and everyone else will greatly appreciate it.

Dave

Did you ever get the pics you needed? I can help