IGNORED

Transmission ID/quiz

LeonV

That would be the stronger Borg Warner T-5 transmission, FS5R90A. You can see it in the FSM, MT chapter.

It's not a direct swap in to a 240Z, like the Nissan 5 speed is. It will need some transmission mount work and a shortened driveshaft, I believe.

Anyone know what I've got here? Under the shifter is: R1, then under that is 13-52-066-903, then under that "Borg Warner".

On the front it has "Basic 1" and another "Borg Warner" with a different number: 13-51-097-901.

Appreciate knowing. Son and I want to put an '83 turbo in his '72 240 with this five speed.

Follow this link for a basic write-up on how to fit the T5 in an early S30 240Z. Datsun ZCARS and Borg-Warner NWC T5s

Chas

The link below has the FSM's which show model numbers in the MT chapter. Nissan started using the FS5R90A in 1983. Follow the Nissan link to the 300ZX and the Datsun link to the 280ZX.

You might start a new thread for your project. It's hard to follow what you're doing with posting in several different ones.

How To Use NICOclub.com?s Factory Service Manual Database

Anyone know what I've got here? Under the shifter is: R1, then under that is 13-52-066-903, then under that "Borg Warner".

On the front it has "Basic 1" and another "Borg Warner" with a different number: 13-51-097-901.

Appreciate knowing. Son and I want to put an '83 turbo in his '72 240 with this five speed.

The numbers you are quoting are the casting numbers and don't mean all that much. Borg warner used them for quality control etc. The transmission type number should be on a metal tag on one of the rear extension housing bolts. Its about 12mm wide by 50mm long from memory and thats going back a while.

The number should read 1352-004 Code E or 1352-047 Code J, but there could be more models. Those two were used in thr 280ZX.

We had a 1352-032 Code D, but that is a European version and I don't think it was available in the US.

Borg warner started making what they called "World Class" T5's in the mid 1980's. "Basic 1" might refer to the standard version.

It might be time to start a new thread on this, since its wondering a little off subject: 71B transmissions.

Chas

Hey all just wanted to tag along with this thread instead of starting a new one - I recently purchased a 5 speed gearbox and here are the physical characteristics:

"Medium" height shifter ears. Not the comically tall ones, but not entirely short either.

One "ear" for the exhaust hanger on the driver's side.

Speedo bolt at 6 o'clock.

Reverse lockout/inspection (I've seen it called both) plate on driver's side.

Definitely has a reverse lockout - can't dry-shift into reverse without centering the shifter then banging it to the right and back.

Most recently came out of a '77 280z yet doesn't bear any resemblance to the imagery I've seen from early 5-speeds... yet at the same time doesn't have all of the indicators of a late gearbox either. Thinking perhaps that it's not original to the car from whence it most recently came.

Either way I'm happy with the purchase, I'd just like to know what the heck this thing is so I can decide which rear end gears to go with.

(excuse the presence/orientation/direction of the dowel - I just popped it in temporarily to test the shift pattern/lockout)

post-30010-1415082845418_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
Hey all just wanted to tag along with this thread instead of starting a new one - I recently purchased a 5 speed gearbox and here are the physical characteristics:

"Medium" height shifter ears. Not the comically tall ones, but not entirely short either.

One "ear" for the exhaust hanger on the driver's side.

Speedo bolt at 6 o'clock.

Reverse lockout/inspection (I've seen it called both) plate on driver's side.

Definitely has a reverse lockout - can't dry-shift into reverse without centering the shifter then banging it to the right and back.

Most recently came out of a '77 280z yet doesn't bear any resemblance to the imagery I've seen from early 5-speeds... yet at the same time doesn't have all of the indicators of a late gearbox either. Thinking perhaps that it's not original to the car from whence it most recently came.

Either way I'm happy with the purchase, I'd just like to know what the heck this thing is so I can decide which rear end gears to go with.

(excuse the presence/orientation/direction of the dowel - I just popped it in temporarily to test the shift pattern/lockout)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71280[/ATTACH]

Just noticed this post. A bit late, but maybe still usefull info.

Its not much of a photo, but going on your discription and whats visable in the photo it looks like a FS5W71B out of a ZX. What is commonly called the "close ratio" 71B. There are lots of different ratios in the trucks, maximas, 280Z en 280ZX.

Not sure which ZX one it is.

The ZX had three versions of the FS5W71B tansmissions. 78 - 7/79 (0.864 5th ratio) is the same as the 280Z and is not a "close ratio" box.

Your photo looks like the 8/79 - 6/80 which had the 0.773 5th gear ratio or the 7/80 - 83 which has the 0.745 5th gear ratio.

Chas.

• 5 months later...

5th ratio question - how do you count the teeth (which teeth) to figure out what 5th gearset you have

I have mine apart - it's either an '80 or '81 based on all the ID stuff above  :unsure:

(short ears, one tab, lockout plate, 6-o'clock, etc)

You have to follow the power path and count all of the gear teeth, including the main shaft to counter shaft connection.  Then do the math.

The other way is to turn the input shaft and count the number of revolutions of the output shaft, while 5th gear is engaged.  Probably easier.  The '80 transmission will turn the output shaft a little more than three quarter (.75) revolution for one input.  .773.  81-83 will be almost right at 3/4 at  .745.

• 4 weeks later...

I found these charts - http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/112772-tranny-gears-wanted-discussion-ratios-gear-swaps/?p=1056030

my gears match the "1983 modified testable chart" = .773

my 71B is apparently a morphrodite - all the late external appearances & lockout, short 5th, but RH mainshaft nut & 56mm CS brg & ears

- on inspection i find  it has been apart before,  & is maybe a mix-match  by someone who mostly knew what they were doing at the time  (but left out one mainshaft thrust washer locating ball - likely no biggie in functionaliity)

found this re Reverse Lockout - adds to the ID confusion: http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/42772-do-early-5-speeds-have-a-reverse-lock-out/  "Apparently the 77-79 had none, and are the same transmissions. 80 is a unique tall 5th gear ratio with a lock-out, and 81-83 are ... slightly shorter 5th gear, and the lock-out for reverse."

5th ratio question - how do you count the teeth (which teeth) to figure out what 5th gearset you have

I have mine apart - it's either an '80 or '81 based on all the ID stuff above  :unsure:

(short ears, one tab, lockout plate, 6-o'clock, etc)