IGNORED

280z Over Charging

bryand2

Hey guys, I posted a while back about the alternator upgrade that the PO had done and based on blue's tech tips, the wiring for the externally regulated alternator was wrong but the car was running fine. Based on blues diagrams, the PO had jumpered wires 5 and 6 from the alt. harness together where blue said numbers 5 and 1. So i reverted back to the way it was originally and now I am overcharging, showing about 14.9-15.1 volts, is running that much voltage going to cause damage? I know the stock voltage is supposed to be 13.8-14.4

14.9 to 15.1 is within the factory specifications for the externally regulated system.

Exactly where my '77 operates, with new stock-spec alternator and external VR. If my running voltage, measured at the battery posts with a multimeter was anything less than 14vdc, I'd be worried.

Hey Steve, the PO had wires # 5 and 6 jumpered together, which are a blue one and a back with white one. About 3 months ago i realized they had it wrong, it was supposed to be 1 and 5, and 2 and 3 and I corrected it. Once I did this the system was operating as it should including the alternator charge light test and brake lamp warning test. However it was after this that my hot start problem began so I reverted back to the #'s 5 and 6 wires jumpered together and the car runs fine. And btw 5 and 6 are jumpered together with a diode in between. Steve could possible explain how the car is running fine with just 5 and 6 connected. 5 is white with black stripe and 6 is blue http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/alternatorswap/index.html