IGNORED

Not what I wanted to find!

cajunz

post-15087-14150823277811_thumb.jpgI recently purchased an '81 L28et that seemed to be running pretty well. I plan to transplant it into my '78 280z. I started the teardown on the engine today to check a few things, and this is what I found in the oil pan. Looks like alot of metal shaving and a couple of circlips. I'm not sure what the broken brass part is. Any ideas? I popped a few of the rod and crank bearing caps and the bearing didn't look too bad. Any suggestions welcomed.

Brent

Just happened to be browsing a book on turbos tonight and found a picture of a typical "floating-bush journal bearing" that looks just like those "brass" parts. Maybe someone blew up a turbo in the past.

The book is "Turbocharging Performance Handbook" by Jeff Hartman, picture on page 113.

Blue and Zed Head, that is what I found. This is definitely not what I wanted to find. When I checked the turbo, the blades looked good but there was some play in the shaft. Guess I'll tear the turbo down and see what it looks like inside. How would the bearing get into the sump? I'm assuming it went down the oil return line. Thanks for the help, guys.

Brent