IGNORED

Outer Hatch Weatherstripping Issue

skillinp

Hey all,

I bought black dragon's weatherstrip kit recently. Everything seems to be fitting about as well as I had hoped, but I've come across an issue with the upper outside hatch seal (the type that's broken into three parts). The top section is supposed to look sort of like this:

post-25697-14150822895294_thumb.jpg

Instead, it looks like this:

post-25697-14150822894587_thumb.jpg

Which I think means that it isn't going to sit as well, or be as effective. I'm considering dropping a couple bones on MSA's "Rear Deck Outer Weatherstrip, One Piece Top & Sides", but I'm not sure that it is something I should worry about, or maybe I should stick with the three piece system and simply get a better top third section from another source, like MSA, Vintage Rubber or Precision (though I'm not sure if I would actually get a better quality product, since I don't know the sourcing for these parts).

Anyone have any thoughts/experience on/with this?

Thanks!

Agreed, your BD piece looks a bit wonky and I suspect it will not install well. Here is a pic of the typical 3-piece stock set-up from MSA. As best I know, their's and BD's are all made by PRP. I did not like the change in shape on the lower pieces and was not getting a seal on the hatch lip. I returned them and bought two more top pieces to get a continuous shape and snug seal. I don't recall a one-piece at MSA when I made my buys. If their current one-piece has the bulb-shape all the way, I'd recommend you go with it.

post-22303-14150822898813_thumb.jpg

post-22303-14150822899058_thumb.jpg

I attempted to buy the one piece at MSA about a month back.. not available. So, i settled for the 3 piece as you have... the top piece is also "wonky". The flat of that piece is also not @ 90 degrees from the main cushion (as shown in jfa's pics) instead it is pointing up, not going to work. Just tonight i opened the packages to install, did not look right, jumped on this site and found this thread.

I guess black dragon has since gotten a new source, or perhaps just a bad batch. MSA seems to have the single piece in stock, I just ordered mine today. If they end up telling me they actually don't have it, I'll probably pick up a more expensive piece from vintage rubber.

skillinp,

When you get that installed I wonder how far down the sides where the drain is does it go? The one on my car put on by a PO stops a few inches short of the end of the drain lip on the sides. Does the MSA side rubber go all the way to the end of the drain?

post-18366-14150822914146_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply, for some reason I didn't get a notification of your reply to this thread.

The single piece from MSA (the one that was from precision origionally) was too long, I had to cut it back by about two inches on each side of the hatch.

The three piece fit perfectly, but again, that was a problem because the middle third was all messed up.

Your Source For Hard To Find VW - Datsun - Mazda - Porsche- Audi Seals and Weather Stripping and More!

These guys supply some items to Precision Rubber. I purchased new door seals from them, they soften them up (lower durometer) to overcome the infamous door slamming issue. You still have to close your door with a good push, but nothing like before.

skillinp,

When you get that installed I wonder how far down the sides where the drain is does it go? The one on my car put on by a PO stops a few inches short of the end of the drain lip on the sides. Does the MSA side rubber go all the way to the end of the drain?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]61137[/ATTACH]

Funny, my rubber seal goes about another 2" past the channel, I'm going to have to cut it off.