IGNORED

clutch fork won't move

Ben's Z

After installing my engine and trans as a single unit I cannot compress the slave cylinder enough to bolt it back up. The clutch fork won't move worth a ****, even if I put leverage on it with a wrench. I'd rather pull the motor than the transmission at this point. I hate this car.

In this case, that's a bummer.

Does the fork move at all, forward or backward or is it jammed in one spot? You might have jammed the collar somehow on the nose piece in the transmission. It would have happened when you bolted the transmission to the engine. Or maybe the fork is jamming the collar on the nose. See if you can get some wiggle room on the fork then stick a screwdriver in there and try to move the collar. The collar should have room to slide on the nose piece even before it contacts the pressure plate spring fingers.

You might have a tall pressure plate and tall collar but I've not heard of one so tall that the slave wouldn't mount. What pressure plate and collar are you using? Is it possible that the clutch fork is not in the collar slots but sitting on top of the collar? I can almost see the collar in the first picture but it's out of focus in the background.

In this case, that's a bummer.

Does the fork move at all, forward or backward or is it jammed in one spot? You might have jammed the collar somehow on the nose piece in the transmission. It would have happened when you bolted the transmission to the engine. Or maybe the fork is jamming the collar on the nose. See if you can get some wiggle room on the fork then stick a screwdriver in there and try to move the collar. The collar should have room to slide on the nose piece even before it contacts the pressure plate spring fingers.

You might have a tall pressure plate and tall collar but I've not heard of one so tall that the slave wouldn't mount. What pressure plate and collar are you using? Is it possible that the clutch fork is not in the collar slots but sitting on top of the collar? I can almost see the collar in the first picture but it's out of focus in the background.

I am using my stock 77 trans 5 speed with a exedy stage 1 clutch kit for my 1983 turbo block. Using a 240mm turbo flywheel too.

Ben, I have a couple of ideas.

- Did you have this transmission in the car before your rebuild?

- Does the fork move back and forth at all? Can you see the bearing pushing against the pressure plate?

- Are you using the throw out bearing collar from your 280Z or another one?

- I think the throw out bearing collar comes in two lengths; 24 and 28mm (fork to bearing surface). There might be other lengths. Do you know if you have the correct length collar for the stage 1 clutch your using.

This link shows some of the forks and collar combinations

Transmission2

Chas

Ben, I have a couple of ideas.

- Did you have this transmission in the car before your rebuild?

- Does the fork move back and forth at all? Can you see the bearing pushing against the pressure plate?

- Are you using the throw out bearing collar from your 280Z or another one?

- I think the throw out bearing collar comes in two lengths; 24 and 28mm (fork to bearing surface). There might be other lengths. Do you know if you have the correct length collar for the stage 1 clutch your using.

This link shows some of the forks and collar combinations

Transmission2

Chas

Yes this is the same transmission from my 77. The donor car (1983 280zx turbo) was an automatic.

The bearing seems fully seated against the pressure plate fingers, but not compressing them.

I was able to put the new bearing on the collar easily. The old collar came off with some light taps with a hammer and socket the same diameter as the collar inside the bearing. No new collar came with the kit.

Bearing looked the same in my old set up as it did with the exedy kit.

You will need a lot of force to press the pressure plate in. You wont do it by hand, maybe with a lever of the clutch fork.

What Im getting at with the collar is the distance between the clutch fork fingers and the bearing surface that pushes the pressure plate. I think your problem might be in a combination of the stage 1 pressure plate and the 280Z collar. If this is the problem, then you will have to remove the tranny:cry:

You will need a lot of force to press the pressure plate in. You wont do it by hand, maybe with a lever of the clutch fork.

What Im getting at with the collar is the distance between the clutch fork fingers and the bearing surface that pushes the pressure plate. I think your problem might be in a combination of the stage 1 pressure plate and the 280Z collar. If this is the problem, then you will have to remove the tranny:cry:

Which collar would I use?

Have a read through this thread here: http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-s30/47279-l28-toasting-my-240z-clutch-2.html I am the one who posted last but it sounds to me like you have a slave issue...the slave piston should move back very easily and there is really no way you can move the fork outside the transmisstion by hand, or even with a big pry bar. It does sound like there is an issue with incompatible parts, and I know it sucks but don't screw around too much trying to diagnose this or that when you know in the end that transmisison is coming down. I spent forever bleeding mine to avoid pulling it out, and now I am really good at pulling the transmission out, you will be too. Anyway there are a variety of collars and clutches, the most important thing and this should be a sticky on replacing clutches, is the total distance discussed in that thread. Good luck.

Edited by ollie