IGNORED

Steering Wheel Spoke Colour.

Mr Camouflage

On the '72 240z I just bought the steering wheel spokes are silver, looks like its paint (Someones gone crazy with silver paint under the bonnet also, airfilter cover, front grill, oil cap, brake fluid caps).

They are supposed to be matt black aren't they. Also the clear coat varnish on the "wood" is peeling off. Anyone got any tips on fixing up the steering wheel.

1278Dash-med.JPG

And the Datsun 240z badge on the glovebox, is the lettering supposed to be painted white?

Mr. C

The steering wheel is in fact supposed to be satin black (it is not quite flat) The other parts under the hood are : filter orange; brake fillers "bright" plate; grill flat black. Restoration was discussed earlier in the forum. Perhaps you can search there.

Otherwise it looks OK inside from your post.

Originally posted by Mr Camouflage

On the '72 240z I just bought the steering wheel spokes are silver, looks like its paint (Someones gone crazy with silver paint under the bonnet also, airfilter cover, front grill, oil cap, brake fluid caps).

They are supposed to be matt black aren't they. Also the clear coat varnish on the "wood" is peeling off. Anyone got any tips on fixing up the steering wheel.

And the Datsun 240z badge on the glovebox, is the lettering supposed to be painted white?

In the USA the steering wheel spokes were black. Not sure if its supposed to be gloss or matt. The lettering on the glove box is white.

I had an article describing reconditioning of the steering wheel, but can't find now. If can locate it, I'll post later. Sorry

Originally posted by billcapp

Restoration was discussed earlier in the forum. Perhaps you can search there.

Otherwise it looks OK inside from your post.

Yeah I read the resto thread, but it didn't really have much to say. The wheel is worse than it looks in the Photos, half of the clear has peeled off, so i want to strip it all off and revarnish it, but I didn't want to damage the plastic wood finish. I was thinking about using a chemical stripper as sanding might remove the wood grain detail and leave me with a plastic look. but stripper migh affect the plastic also.

I just wanted t get a few responses from people that have actually resto'd their wheels and how they did it.

Hey Mr. C,

I recently restored two 240Z steering wheels. I’m getting better at it with each attempt LOL

My first project wheel is currently installed on my 1972, which can be seen in my photo gallery. Since I had materials left over from my first wheel restoration, I decided to complete another one. This is the wheel in the attached photograph. I’ll be putting this wheel up for sale on ebay in the next couple of weeks.

Here is the process I used:

I stripped down the black spokes by machine sander, and not chemical stripper as not to harm the rim’s finish. Then, the center was masked and hub/spokes were painted flat black with a semi-gloss clear coat added.

The faux wood was stripped, prepped, and finished using the following process:

1. Wood was thoroughly cleaned with a citrus degreaser and a mild Teflon-safe scouring pad to remove all accumulation of old varnish, grease and dirt.

2. I applied a single, light coat of red mahogany stain to revive the color.

3. Multiple coats of clear urethane was then sprayed to seal and protect.

4. The wheel was wet sanded with 600 grit sandpaper to smoothen the surface.

5. Polishing compound was then applied and surfaced was buffed by hand for many hours to achieve a glossy finish.

post-2033-14150792407_thumb.jpg

As Bambikiller said, the lettering on the glove box is supposed to be white, at least it is in my 240. If you think silver is bad on the steering wheel you should see mine. My ex went beserk trying to get rid of all the leftover paint (Nason's starburst blue mettallic), and painted my steering wheel blue!! But now I know how to fix it!!

Mmmmm sexy steering wheel. THe other one makes it look more glossy, but I can see the proper colour in this one yep.

My steering wheel spokes have been sanded down at some stage to bare metal...... then they left it. Hasn't rusted yet ! hehe

I've always wanted to restore my wheel - I need to find a replacement wheel for the interum first though ;)