IGNORED

Yet another tire/wheel size question

ksechler

The recommended wheel width numbers that Tire Rack (and all tire manufacturers publish) are based on a DOT formula for safety. For the best performance from your tire the rim width should be equal to or 1/2" wider then actual tread width (per Jeff Speer at Hoosier). Also, the tire size numbers published by the tire manufacturers have little to do with tread width. A 225 tire does not necessarily have a 225mm wide tread. For example: A Hoosier R6 225 DOT R tire tread width is about 30mm wider then a Kumho XS 225 street tire tread width.

The recommended wheel width numbers that Tire Rack (and all tire manufacturers publish) are based on a DOT formula for safety. For the best performance from your tire the rim width should be equal to or 1/2" wider then actual tread width (per Jeff Speer at Hoosier). Also, the tire size numbers published by the tire manufacturers have little to do with tread width. A 225 tire does not necessarily have a 225mm wide tread. For example: A Hoosier R6 225 DOT R tire tread width is about 30mm wider then a Kumho XS 225 street tire tread width.

Correct, and Tire Rack has actual width specs for each tire they sell.

In your reference to "best performance", are you talking about the rim width as rated (e.g. 16X7) or edge-to-edge?

Besides, although good to know, the OP wasn't asking about what theoretical tire/rim size combo will squeeze out every inch of performance. His question was more geared towards just being able to use it, i.e. safety. To once more explicitly answer the OP:

I didn't think that you were supposed to put something as wide as a 225 on a 16X7. If that's ok, then I will use the 225's

Yes, 225/50-16 is fine. It will open up a lot more tire options, as I mentioned earlier.

• 2 weeks later...

The tire shop called me last week and said my tires were in; Kumho Ecsta's 225/50R16. So Friday I dropped the wheels off and got them mounted. I'm pretty excited, but unfortunately my car has no front suspension and is on jackstands so I can't give you any pictures of them on the car. Here are a few teasers, though...

post-23182-14150822371684_thumb.jpg

post-23182-14150822372413_thumb.jpg

post-23182-14150822372948_thumb.jpg

Edited by ksechler
adding pictures

• 2 weeks later...

I havent' been able to get the car out of the garage because I hadn't hooked the steering up yet. I hooked it up today, though.

Here is a teaser with the front wheels installed.

post-23182-14150822681399_thumb.jpg

I have the back on now, too and will take pictures tomorrow if the weather permits. It has been snowing off and on and cold as heck (for Maryland). I will say, though, that the back absolutely will rub. I will first try rolling the fender (at a later date), but I'm not even sure if that will be enough. it's tight!

post-23182-14150822680192_thumb.jpg

post-23182-14150822680807_thumb.jpg