IGNORED

Yet another tire/wheel size question

ksechler

I have studied this subject in the archives extensively and originally decided to go the 225/50/R16 on a 16X8 route. I have utterly failed in finding a wheel the I like in a 16X8 4-bolt pattern. I thought the Rota's where a lock but they are on indefinite back order. After some soul searching I have decided to go with the following:

16X7 Konig Rewinds with 215/50/R16 Kumho Exsta XS

Here's the question. I don't want to rehash the sizing debate. I just want to make sure that combination of tire/wheel works. Does this sound like a decent combination?

Thanks all in advance.

Can't go wrong with Panasports, however, they're more expensive than Konigs or Rotas. Finding them second-hand is the trick but you'll have to be patient, unless you're lucky.

16X7 with 225/50-16 does the job nicely.

post-19146-14150821928142_thumb.jpg

If you're set on the Konigs, why go with 215s if you were wanting 225s? Tire selection in 225/50-16 sizes is way better.

If you're set on the Konigs, why go with 215s if you were wanting 225s? Tire selection in 225/50-16 sizes is way better.

I didn't think that you were supposed to put something as wide as a 225 on a 16X7. If that's ok, then I will use the 225's

I just went with a similar setup. I decided on the Konig Rewinds and went with Michelin Pilot Sport Plus tires. 225/50-16 fit just fine. The only clearance issue that I had was a very slight rubbing on the right rear tire when going over very aggressive bumps in the road. Had to have the fender rolled to cure it, but that was pretty straight forward.

It's also pretty amazing to feel the handling differences with these tires as compared to the BF Goodrich Radial TA's that I was running. I decided to keep my Appliance wheels and BFG tires so I have the ability to switch if I want to change out the Konig's for a different event, but for really driving, you can't beat the Michelins.

Here's a few pictures with the new tires and wheels.

Mike.

post-19584-14150821944311_thumb.jpg

post-19584-14150821941711_thumb.jpg

post-19584-14150821942537_thumb.jpg

post-19584-14150821943288_thumb.jpg

post-19584-14150821943716_thumb.jpg

I didn't think that you were supposed to put something as wide as a 225 on a 16X7. If that's ok, then I will use the 225's

There is a recommended rim width range for each tire size. Using Tirerack.com as a source, a 225/50-16 is good for a 6-8" wide rim. A 7" wide rim should be perfect for that size.

l opted for 205/55X16's for my Rewinds for two reasons: avoid any rubbing problems due to width and stick with the original 25" diameter as much as possible. No regrets with my choices.

I've had no rubbing problems running 225/50-16 on my Z, however the same spec tires from various manufacturers may still differ slightly in size. Wheel offset is also very important, as it laterally locates the wheel/tire combo in the car. Again, my 16X7 Panasports with the current tires on them do not rub at all. FWIW, 225/60-14 did not rub either, when I ran 14X6 slotted mags. I believe the mags had a zero offset and the Panasports are close to zero, if not zero.

Also, tire diameter between a 225/50-16 and 205/55-16 is essentially equal.

As stated above, 225's will FIT on a 7" rim, but they will tend to bow out from it, rather than having a vertical sidewall. This may affect how the tire performs and will affect how it looks.

Another thing to keep in mind is that, unless you are putting down significantly more power than stock (which I am not) you may not want as much tread as 225's on the ground. Sometimes it helps to be able to induce a bit of oversteer with the throttle. This becomes more difficult with a low horse motor and a large contact patch. I've been on drives with 911's and 914 6's where guys are running 205's and even 195's and some of these guys drive the absolute s#!t out of their cars without getting sideways.

As stated above, 225's will FIT on a 7" rim, but they will tend to bow out from it, rather than having a vertical sidewall. This may affect how the tire performs and will affect how it looks.

I don't think my 225s "bow out" and I've got no performance issues to complain about (besides them being old and not as grippy as I'd like).

post-19146-14150821947704_thumb.jpg

Now when I ran 225s on 6" wide slotted mags, there was some noticeable buldging but nothing to complain about. When talking strictly about looks, I prefer a little too wide vs. a little too narrow anyway. Your opinion may vary.

Another thing to keep in mind is that, unless you are putting down significantly more power than stock (which I am not) you may not want as much tread as 225's on the ground. Sometimes it helps to be able to induce a bit of oversteer with the throttle. This becomes more difficult with a low horse motor and a large contact patch. I've been on drives with 911's and 914 6's where guys are running 205's and even 195's and some of these guys drive the absolute s#!t out of their cars without getting sideways.

It's not about putting down power, at least in my case. Oversteer can be induced without breaking tires free, in fact that's desired. That has more to do with weight transfer and roll stiffness distribution. If your goal is fast laps, you shouldn't be losing traction at any point.

A 225mm section width tire is recommended for a 7" rim, there is no reason to cry foul on fit and performance. A wider tire (on a properly sized rim) will stop better and turn better than a narrower one.

Edited by LeonV
Attachment fix.

ok down to two tire sizes 225/50R15 or 215/60R15 will they both fit stock ride 76 280z? i have looked but cant find anyone with the 215/60. looks to be a little bigger than the stock tires and the 225/50 look to be a little smaller.Help please as i want to order them today.