• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

ksechler

ksechler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationMid-Atlantic
I have studied this subject in the archives extensively and originally decided to go the 225/50/R16 on a 16X8 route. I have utterly failed in finding a wheel the I like in a 16X8 4-bolt pattern. I thought the Rota's where a lock but they are on indefinite back order. After some soul searching I have decided to go with the following:

16X7 Konig Rewinds with 215/50/R16 Kumho Exsta XS

Here's the question. I don't want to rehash the sizing debate. I just want to make sure that combination of tire/wheel works. Does this sound like a decent combination?

Thanks all in advance.

LeonV

LeonV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA
Can't go wrong with Panasports, however, they're more expensive than Konigs or Rotas. Finding them second-hand is the trick but you'll have to be patient, unless you're lucky.

16X7 with 225/50-16 does the job nicely.

MelissasCameraPart150.jpg

If you're set on the Konigs, why go with 215s if you were wanting 225s? Tire selection in 225/50-16 sizes is way better.
2/74 260Z

ksechler

ksechler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationMid-Atlantic

If you're set on the Konigs, why go with 215s if you were wanting 225s? Tire selection in 225/50-16 sizes is way better.

I didn't think that you were supposed to put something as wide as a 225 on a 16X7. If that's ok, then I will use the 225's

jfa.series1

jfa.series1

Jim Arnett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • LocationRichardson TX
l opted for 205/55X16's for my Rewinds for two reasons: avoid any rubbing problems due to width and stick with the original 25" diameter as much as possible. No regrets with my choices.

Jim Arnett
HLS30-15320 12/1970, original owner
L24-020208 (original)
IZCC Original Owner Registry #53

Mike W

Mike W

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
I just went with a similar setup. I decided on the Konig Rewinds and went with Michelin Pilot Sport Plus tires. 225/50-16 fit just fine. The only clearance issue that I had was a very slight rubbing on the right rear tire when going over very aggressive bumps in the road. Had to have the fender rolled to cure it, but that was pretty straight forward.

It's also pretty amazing to feel the handling differences with these tires as compared to the BF Goodrich Radial TA's that I was running. I decided to keep my Appliance wheels and BFG tires so I have the ability to switch if I want to change out the Konig's for a different event, but for really driving, you can't beat the Michelins.

Here's a few pictures with the new tires and wheels.

Mike.

DSC_0625.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0621.jpg
  • DSC_0622.jpg
  • DSC_0623.jpg
  • DSC_0624.jpg

Zedyone_kenobi

Zedyone_kenobi

Supporting Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts
  • LocationHouston
such a beautiful car Mike!

Love it.
1971 240Z HLS30-38691
93.9% done and getting better every day
Now with 100% more DATSUN SPIRIT L28 Power
1968 Datsun 2000 SRL311-03416
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LeonV

LeonV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

I didn't think that you were supposed to put something as wide as a 225 on a 16X7. If that's ok, then I will use the 225's

There is a recommended rim width range for each tire size. Using Tirerack.com as a source, a 225/50-16 is good for a 6-8" wide rim. A 7" wide rim should be perfect for that size.

l opted for 205/55X16's for my Rewinds for two reasons: avoid any rubbing problems due to width and stick with the original 25" diameter as much as possible. No regrets with my choices.

I've had no rubbing problems running 225/50-16 on my Z, however the same spec tires from various manufacturers may still differ slightly in size. Wheel offset is also very important, as it laterally locates the wheel/tire combo in the car. Again, my 16X7 Panasports with the current tires on them do not rub at all. FWIW, 225/60-14 did not rub either, when I ran 14X6 slotted mags. I believe the mags had a zero offset and the Panasports are close to zero, if not zero.

Also, tire diameter between a 225/50-16 and 205/55-16 is essentially equal.
2/74 260Z

tlorber

tlorber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
As stated above, 225's will FIT on a 7" rim, but they will tend to bow out from it, rather than having a vertical sidewall. This may affect how the tire performs and will affect how it looks.

Another thing to keep in mind is that, unless you are putting down significantly more power than stock (which I am not) you may not want as much tread as 225's on the ground. Sometimes it helps to be able to induce a bit of oversteer with the throttle. This becomes more difficult with a low horse motor and a large contact patch. I've been on drives with 911's and 914 6's where guys are running 205's and even 195's and some of these guys drive the absolute s#!t out of their cars without getting sideways.

LeonV

LeonV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

As stated above, 225's will FIT on a 7" rim, but they will tend to bow out from it, rather than having a vertical sidewall. This may affect how the tire performs and will affect how it looks.

I don't think my 225s "bow out" and I've got no performance issues to complain about (besides them being old and not as grippy as I'd like).

MelissasCameraPart146.jpg

Now when I ran 225s on 6" wide slotted mags, there was some noticeable buldging but nothing to complain about. When talking strictly about looks, I prefer a little too wide vs. a little too narrow anyway. Your opinion may vary.

Another thing to keep in mind is that, unless you are putting down significantly more power than stock (which I am not) you may not want as much tread as 225's on the ground. Sometimes it helps to be able to induce a bit of oversteer with the throttle. This becomes more difficult with a low horse motor and a large contact patch. I've been on drives with 911's and 914 6's where guys are running 205's and even 195's and some of these guys drive the absolute s#!t out of their cars without getting sideways.

It's not about putting down power, at least in my case. Oversteer can be induced without breaking tires free, in fact that's desired. That has more to do with weight transfer and roll stiffness distribution. If your goal is fast laps, you shouldn't be losing traction at any point.

A 225mm section width tire is recommended for a 7" rim, there is no reason to cry foul on fit and performance. A wider tire (on a properly sized rim) will stop better and turn better than a narrower one.

Edited by LeonV, 04 January 2013 - 12:11 PM.
Attachment fix.

2/74 260Z

kacrow76

kacrow76

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationKansas
Ok now that everyone else has asked about there tires and wheels i have to ask about mine. tire size i am looking at is 215/60R15 these are the wheels http://avid1wheels.c...black_front.jpg they have a +12 off set will this work?

kacrow76

kacrow76

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationKansas
ok down to two tire sizes 225/50R15 or 215/60R15 will they both fit stock ride 76 280z? i have looked but cant find anyone with the 215/60. looks to be a little bigger than the stock tires and the 225/50 look to be a little smaller.Help please as i want to order them today.

Jeff G 78

Jeff G 78

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts
  • LocationNorthville, Michigan
A 7" wide rim is actually perfect for a 225/50 tire. My RS2 tires are on the wide side and yet they don't bulge at all.

Posted Image
Jeff
Northville, Michigan
IZCC #1285
'78 280 10:1 CR, Arizona Z Car header, urethane bushings, Tokico springs, Illumina struts, Panasports w/Hankook R-S2 225/50R16 tires, Maxima 105 amp alternator
http://www.classiczc...500&ppuser=7975
'74 260Z BRE look-alike crap can for Optima Batteries ChumpCar World Series Racing racing
https://www.facebook.com/Jeff.Grauer

LeonV

LeonV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

A 7" wide rim is actually perfect for a 225/50 tire. My RS2 tires are on the wide side and yet they don't bulge at all.

Thanks for the corroboration, Jeff. I was starting to feel like a broken record (CD?)!
2/74 260Z

John Coffey

John Coffey

Crumudgeon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts
  • LocationLa Habra, CA USA
The recommended wheel width numbers that Tire Rack (and all tire manufacturers publish) are based on a DOT formula for safety. For the best performance from your tire the rim width should be equal to or 1/2" wider then actual tread width (per Jeff Speer at Hoosier). Also, the tire size numbers published by the tire manufacturers have little to do with tread width. A 225 tire does not necessarily have a 225mm wide tread. For example: A Hoosier R6 225 DOT R tire tread width is about 30mm wider then a Kumho XS 225 street tire tread width.

conedodger

conedodger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts
  • LocationReno, NV
I agree with John and his example about Hoosiers is spot on. In general, they're wider than just about anything else size for size.
Rob
2000 BMW R1100 RT-SE (for sale)
1999 Toyota 4Runner Supercharged
1975 Porsche 914 stroker motor autoX car
1973 Datsun 240Z Restoration project. New paint in original white. E31 head on 2.4 block. Nissan Motorsports header. R200 with Nissan motorsports LSD.

LeonV

LeonV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

The recommended wheel width numbers that Tire Rack (and all tire manufacturers publish) are based on a DOT formula for safety. For the best performance from your tire the rim width should be equal to or 1/2" wider then actual tread width (per Jeff Speer at Hoosier). Also, the tire size numbers published by the tire manufacturers have little to do with tread width. A 225 tire does not necessarily have a 225mm wide tread. For example: A Hoosier R6 225 DOT R tire tread width is about 30mm wider then a Kumho XS 225 street tire tread width.

Correct, and Tire Rack has actual width specs for each tire they sell.

In your reference to "best performance", are you talking about the rim width as rated (e.g. 16X7) or edge-to-edge?
2/74 260Z

LeonV

LeonV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA
Besides, although good to know, the OP wasn't asking about what theoretical tire/rim size combo will squeeze out every inch of performance. His question was more geared towards just being able to use it, i.e. safety. To once more explicitly answer the OP:

Yes, 225/50-16 is fine. It will open up a lot more tire options, as I mentioned earlier.
2/74 260Z

kacrow76

kacrow76

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationKansas
Ok so i went the safe route and got the rewinds 15 x 7 with 205/60 15. just did not want to have any fitment trouble would have liked to go bigger and wider sure we will be happy.

ksechler

ksechler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationMid-Atlantic
Ok, guys. Thanks for all of the replies. The Konigs arrived today. I'm going to get some rubber on them on Saturday. I will post pictures and all the specs as soon as I have them.

LeonV

LeonV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Ok, guys. Thanks for all of the replies. The Konigs arrived today. I'm going to get some rubber on them on Saturday. I will post pictures and all the specs as soon as I have them.

Excellent! ;)
2/74 260Z

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users