IGNORED

My two swiss S30Z Fairlady Restoration build thread

JDMjunkies.ch

Sorry for the lack of updates. Pre-christmas stuff keeps me busy currently, but soon Christmas holiday is coming so i hope to be able to get a few things sorted.

Compared the damage on my two chassis today. Still need to check a few things but this is what i saw so far:

Z-comparison.jpg

So my plan is to do the same as Torby from Latenightgarage to his Z. Swap the entire front end from my black car to the white one, as well as the taillight surrounding. still need to study a lot of things but this seems a pretty nice way to make one good Chassis out of two rusty ones as the front is pretty well on the black one but the restunusable and the front-end is the biggest problem (with a lot of cheap repair patches) on the white one:

DSC_84952.jpg

Haha, it's more a "make-one-out-of-two" thing than a serous repair. i believe the black one would'nt make sense to repair and the white one would be very tricky to replace all the panels in the front end so i think this is the easiest way to get it fixed and after torby at http://www.latenightgarage.com/?p=669 did the exactly same i feel like this is a great idea to save the best from two cars.

Anyway i still need replacement of the frame rails but for this i will have another update soon, i hope :)

Also i still need to investigate a bit further on the quality of the black front end, i hope it's really as usable as i think it is :)

• 4 weeks later...

Spent another hour at the new (black) Z and "freed" the front end to have a closer look:

1) Grille off:

P1080175-Kopie.jpg

2) Fenders off:

P1080206-Kopie.jpg

P1080207-Kopie.jpg

3) Hood off:

P1080210-Kopie.jpg

P1080213-Kopie.jpg

Good news: I found what i was looking for: A pretty solid, straight and not-too-rusty Front end. Perfect for swapping it over to the white chassis :D

P1080218-Kopie.jpg

P1080221-Kopie.jpg

You remember the "Datsun parts heaven" i wrote about a while ago? Today i visited this place again, because i wanted to pick up a set of pretty damn rare NOS OEM Frame rails for the 240Z. I've never seen them for sale so they must be something really sought after and i wanted to secure them for my project. here they are, can't get any better :)

P1080246-Kopie.jpg

Then my mate stefan and i Checked out a nice Z which is for sale and a few friends of us are interrested in:

P1080234-Kopie.jpg

And Stefan took a closer look at a Datsun 180B Triple S, a seriously rare car over here! He might be buying it soon, at least i hope so :)

P1080236-Kopie.jpg

And last but not least i edited an Image of my second's Z engine bay, just because it looked so nice and i loved the picture with the lens flare :)

P1080218-Kopie-Kopie.jpg

More updates to come soon :)

Haha yeah that's why i had to buy them. i've only seen once a set for sale in the USA, but without shipping outside US. and the baddog rails are good replicas but quite not OEM quailty :)

And yeah most of the car's have sonroofs in switzerland (Don't ask me why). when i bought my first z they told me it's a rare model without sunroof but i later figured out it once had a sunroof and just was closed by welding in a piece of sheet metal.

anyway, now i have a shell without sunroof that's pretty fine :)

Hi Nils,

I have been reading everything and looked at the pictures. Been there, done that. Personally I would not cut anything in half, but use the black one, and weld in those frame rails you showed in the picture, together with new floor pans. ( when cutting things away, make sure you weld support structure in first )The first thing you need to do, to get things done more quicker, is to get the black chassis sandblasted, once sandblasted things work alot quicker and cleaner, and you will see welding in the new parts will go alot quicker. Then you can put everything in protective primer/paint, and can start assemble the car.

Keep going !

Bart