IGNORED

My two swiss S30Z Fairlady Restoration build thread

JDMjunkies.ch

6) And then finally the day came yesterday when i had arranged a date to get the car delivered to my bodyshop-guy. The day started like this:
P1130539.jpg

7) After uncovering the white first (now spareparts) chassis i moved the black one out of it's comfort-zone to but it to a bit of sunlight first time after two years :)
P1130543.jpg

P1130548.jpg

8)Then put the white chassis back into th e garage first time in two years to have it save before snow falls and to have it ready to cut spareparts for the bodyshop if needed :)
P1130551.jpg

9) Then i had to wait for the Car-hauler to come, but he was a bit late due to an emergency-call so i decided to clean the space in front of my garage from all the jung, leaves and dirt that have collected during the past years underneath my white car:
P1130552.jpg

There she's waiting....
P1130556.jpg

10) Then finally the Hauler showed up and despite having some concerns if everything will work fine i was really surprised the car was loaded after 5 minutes and tied down. This guy was a real pro and well experienced :)
P1130561.jpg

P1130563.jpg

P1130564.jpg

P1130566.jpg

11) After a 5 minute drive the car was unloaded at the bodyshop. It's now waiting in the "cleaning room" and after cleaning will be moved next door for bodywork. I've spent like 2 hours with the bodyguy and he seems exactly what  i was looking for. He's an experienced chassis builder (not only panel beater) which is perfect due to the fact i need extensive chassis repairs and finishing not only small repair patches :) Plan is to have the chassis done within a year. i hope this works as planned :)
P11305681.jpg

12) He also gave me a few JDM-books for reading which i thought was worth a foto and really exciting :) The bodyshop is close to my home so i plan to have a look there every now and then and update you with pictures. and of course i'll get some other stuff done in the meantime. so watch out for updates :)
P11305781.jpg

My Friend René (which is also the guy to paint my car once it's ready) recently sent me a picture of a Datsun colour code brochure, joking he's preparing to paint my car :)
Datsun-Colour-chart-1-Kopie.jpg

I thought this might be  interresting for you guys so i asked him to send me more pictures:  Here we go:
Datsun-Colour-chart-2-Kopie.jpg

In Case if you're wondering, i'll stick with the #904 white, chich is also Called Kilimanjaro white according to some sources.
Datsun-Colour-chart-3-Kopie.jpg

Nice build!

Hayashi also made race bike parts. They made nice exhaust systems for them. 

Are you going to stroke the engine, as per the designation on the Kakimoto cover? I believe the reason people bought those was for the 3100cc designation and simplification of wire routing, etc.

I love the emphasis on vintage aftermarket parts going into the build. It makes a notable difference on any car's heritage and a lot of people toss the idea out the window, outside of typical US built classic cars, and even then, it is becoming rare. Nice to see some thought going into it!

• Like 1

Yves, my panelbeater / Bodyshop guy keeps updating me every few days with pics of his work. as you can see there is a LOT of work :)
however i thought i'd share the pics with you, might have some interresting views inside a Z you usually won't see on a complete car. Before:
IMG-20141113-WA0001-Kopie.jpg

After:
IMG-20141113-WA0004-Kopie.jpg

he started work on the passenger front end and is now working around the car. Before:
IMG-20141113-WA0002-Kopie.jpg

After:
IMG-20141113-WA0003-Kopie.jpg

some leftovers :)
IMG-20141113-WA0005-Kopie.jpg

These are the pics i got today: from the Air channel on the passenger side. Before:   
IMG-20141117-WA0001-Kopie.jpg

And removed. some rust inside...
IMG-20141117-WA0002-Kopie.jpg

some shitty previous repair attempts:
IMG-20141117-WA0003-Kopie.jpg

Alsoi'm currently looking for a new roof. found some but actually it's a bit hard to find one who ships to switzerland or is for a reasonable price. if anyone has a good idea where to get a nice roof cut or roof skin without sunroof, please let me know! (can be used as well)

IMG-20141117-WA0004-Kopie.jpg

Will visit the bodyshop soon and make some better pics with my camera. those pics above are all made by yves, the Bodyshop-guru with his cellphone :)

Nice build!

Hayashi also made race bike parts. They made nice exhaust systems for them. 

Are you going to stroke the engine, as per the designation on the Kakimoto cover? I believe the reason people bought those was for the 3100cc designation and simplification of wire routing, etc.

I love the emphasis on vintage aftermarket parts going into the build. It makes a notable difference on any car's heritage and a lot of people toss the idea out the window, outside of typical US built classic cars, and even then, it is becoming rare. Nice to see some thought going into it!

Thanks mate. Didn't know hayashi made bike parts, cool to know :)

Well my current plan is to build / stroke an L28 with triple mikunis but i havent thoguht too much about that yet. Its at the far end of the 2do list and still have to check with local laws and restrictions to see what's possible.

The main plan is to build something like a classic Pro-tourer. the overall car should look like some streetracer in the 70ies with classic L-series engine and a lot of parts available back then or at least parts that look like they where made back then. I just love JDM-parts and even more so classic JDM parts so why not buy a lot of them and build a car that fits them? thats what i try to do. still have a huge wishlist and just found some more amazing parts today but still have to save some money and source them :P

While Yves is going crazy on the body i'm doing my homework as well. But let's see...
Most of the work i'm doing now is research. I need to replace all the worn, weak, corroded, sheared of and damaged bolts, nuts and screws on my car so i tried to figure out what bolts there are. was a bit hard to figure out until my friend and fellow Datsun Z Owner Nils sent me a few very useful links. here we go:
240Z-Bolts-front-suspension-Kopie2.jpg

240Z-Bolts-rear-suspension-Kopie3.jpg

240Z-Bolts-Kopie.jpg

Check these Links if you want more information. there's even a bigger and better list with every single bolt pictured and measured!!
http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/98751-suspension-bolts-inventory
Nils also pointed out to be sure tu use at least 10.9 grade bolts for all the subframe stuff for safety reasons!

If you're looking for the bolts in the rest of your car (engine etc), you can get them here:
http://mmsacc-stainless.com/html/Datsun.htm
or  here:
https://zcardepot.com/
They have various kit including this "master kit" which includes all the bolts minus the subframe (i didn't find any kits for these, but with above information it isn't too hard to create your own kit). I think the master kit looks good:
complete-ss-Kopie.jpg

While working on this i also started to rework some random stuff:
Cleaned uo the inside of the Steering rack which the powdercoater messed up slightly. Will take it to the office tomorrow where i have a powerful airgun to blow ot the debris inside:
P1130622-Kopie.jpg

Collected a few parts from the front subframe / And starting to figure out how it all comes together :)
P1130621-Kopie.jpg

Started to clean some random stuff, like the inner shifter boot. Before:
P1130585-Kopie.jpg

After (washed it in warm water with soap, and then added some Petrolium-lube (Vaseline) to keep the ruber material smooth.
P1130588-Kopie.jpg

Put chassis number one back on Jacks:
P1130582-Kopie.jpg

And sterted to dig through the piles of parts i have to collect a box full of pieces which will go out to sandblasting and yellow-zinc plating when i've got together enough pieces.
P1130584-Kopie.jpg

Still have some work to do now but i'll keep you updated as soon as the big news come :)

• Like 1

Progress is huge currently and i could'nt be happier :)
Lets start where the last pics from the bodyshop ended: Yves sent me an update on the front air ducts. Man i love his fabrication skills and im happy the old shitty repair attemts are completely removed and replaced by proper bodywork: I'll let the picuteres speak for themselfes:
IMG-20141120-WA0003-Kopie.jpg

IMG-20141120-WA0002-Kopie.jpg

IMG-20141120-WA0001-Kopie.jpg

I did some work as well: Started with removing the old shells from the Front Lower control arm bars (LCA's). There is a great manual here:
http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/suspension/frontcontrolarm/index.html
Before:
P1130626-Kopie.jpg

At work (it's quite a bit of a hack job):
P1130628-Kopie.jpg

P1130629-Kopie.jpg

Out it is:
P1130631-Kopie.jpg

As you can see there is still a lot of old lube inside (the yellow stuff):
P1130640-Kopie.jpg

So i took my favourite dremel tool and cleaned the mess. way better :)
P1130646-Kopie.jpg

Then worked after the energy suspension manual to install the bushings. First add lube to prevent the clean metal from corrosion and make installation easier:
P1130647-Kopie.jpg

And finally they're installed. Still needs a bit of cleaning at the end :)
P1130649-Kopie.jpg

Oh also went to the garage and vacum cleaned chassis number one :)   
P1130625-Kopie.jpg

And last but not least installed the Nissan E-FAST tool which is great for looking up original drawings and part numbers. You can get it here:
http://www.xenons30.com/reference.html%C2'>  
E-Fast1-Kopie.jpg

E-Fast2-Kopie.jpg

I've been doing a lot of reasearch on small bits and pieces and ordering a lot of bolts, nuts, washers, spacers and stuff. So no pictures to show you from my side untill the parts arrive here. It's kinda hard find all the right partnumbers in  Nissan E-Fast and than find Nissan Replacement partnumbers on a Homepage like this (great Page for finding replacement numbers! www.online-parts.co.uk/nissan/ ).
However I have big news soon. And at least my Bodyshop guy Yves from M.U.C is constantly updating me with pictures so i can show you some progress on the body:
He started to repair the passenger side inner wheel well. Before:
IMG-20141126-WA0006-Kopie.jpg

During repair:
IMG-20141126-WA0005-Kopie1.jpg

IMG-20141126-WA0007-Kopie2.jpg

Done
IMG-20141126-WA0008-Kopie.jpg

Same on the other side:
IMG-20141126-WA0000-Kopie1.jpg

IMG-20141126-WA0001-Kopie1.jpg

IMG-20141126-WA0003-Kopie.jpg

IMG-20141126-WA0004-Kopie.jpg