IGNORED

Mystery clunk

Diseazd

Just fixed another mystery clunk. My 72 (green) just developed the dreaded clunk. No problem, I've got a R/T mount so it's got to be the half shaft u joints. I pulled 'em off and had them replaced. Took her for a drive looking for a nice quiet ride......not. The clunk was still there. I put it back on the lift and wrenched the driveshaft around......must be in the drive shaft. While it was up on the lift, I checked for loose bolts. The mustache bar (two vertical bolts) were tight as a tick as well as the big control arm bolts. The two bolts from the back of the diff were pretty tight too, I could only get a quarter of a turn. I decided to drive her again before pulling the drive shaft to replace those u joints.......clunk is non existent. A tiny back off of the two diff bolts had caused a good clunk. Just a heads up to anyone who is blaming their clunk on diff, driveshaft or half shafts. Check torque on all major nuts in the rear......could save time and money.

Yep,

I just posted this the other day. It only takes just less than a 1/2 turn on the diff mounting bolts to create a clunk. The ONLY way to tell is get a wrench out. I think folks like me that have had the diffs out on several occasions find that the STUDS are actually loosening causing the nut to be loose. Time to get the loctite red out and squirt those studs in place.

• 2 years later...

Diseazd, when you say "clunk", when were you hearing it? I have a clunk sound now but not all the time. Mostly when making right turns, when there is less torque, while driving over uneaven rough roads, and those little round dome shapped lane dividers (don't recall the proper name). Trying to find where mine is coming from but already checked everything mentioned and then some. Even looked for a busted strut.

jalexquijano, I think you should be checking all the bolts are tight and the diff mount for starters. If the diff mount is old it will sag and cause these kind of noises. The two big nuts on the back of the diff cover often cause this noise.