IGNORED

1980 zx still hard to get parts

dgcamp58

My z project winding down after 15 months in the body shop. Body work and paint came out great. Every piece of glass,doors,hood,hatch,bumpers,all removed in process. Taken down to bare metal. Kind of a puzzle getting it back together after being apart so long. Now trying to find rubber seals for around the doors. I can't understand why the 79-83 280zx is being neglected as far as reproduction seals and parts in general. There seems to be plenty of demand. Anybody parting out 79-83 with some good rubber around the doors, let me know. Hope to post pics of my z soon. Think you guys are gonna like it. By the way "Black Gold", the hatch I bought from you worked great. I used the glass and seal.

Actually, I'm not sure there is enough demand for the ZX stuff. The number of people restoring S130s is far smaller (it seems to me) than those doing S30s, and it's hard to get companies to do S30 parts. Tooling up for this kind of stuff isn't cheap, and if there isn't enough market to re-coup the investment, it never happens.

At the risk of being too obvious, has anyone checked with the dealers?

There are still numerous parts available for the S30, and I've no doubt for the S130 also. I don't have the part numbers to see, but while the car does go back to the 80's, someone with the FAST system may be able to provide the numbers.

Parts reproduction is at a money disadvantage with regards to already produced parts. It isn't until all back-stock and good used parts have been generally exhausted, and only then do owners dig down and pay more for the parts and make reproduction parts feasible. No one wants to invest tons of money to produce parts that cannot be sold for a premium that allows for a quick return on investment.

Find the correct part numbers and then check with the likes of Courtesy Nissan, or even your local dealer (with the P/N they'll be more willing to work with you). You may be surprised to find what IS available.

FWIW

E

• 7 months later...

I've got a very nice rear inner hatch weatherstrip I got in the junkyard about 10 yrs ago.

i bought it thinking it would crudely fit my 78 for a short time but it proved to be too thick.

Its very soft and pliable factory rubber. name your price and its yours if you want/need it

These parts have been long out of production.

I know what you mean. I can't understand why it would appear that "NO ONE" wants to make them. Looks like a great business opportunity there. It was quite time consuming to find all the seals for mine. The rear hatch glass seal was the "BEAR" of it all. Ordered one and it was expensive (over-priced if you ask me) and took about 2 months to get. The coupe seal is reasonable and appears easily attainable, but an 83 2+2???...I'd advise anyone to find it and get it in hand before they remove that glass. Good luck and be sure to post pics when you get it together.

Edited by sjb15316

• 10 months later...