IGNORED

L28 is toasting my 240z clutch

AlexS13

Leon and Lazeum, thanks for the explanation. I think it's safe to say my issue isn't weird since the slippage I'am seeing is occuring in higher gear under load where the clutch is most likely to slip. Carl, thanks for explaining the thick vs thin pressure plates I was unaware of this. What would the symptoms be of using the wrong style collar with your clutch? for example, using a short collar with a thin pressure plate or using a longer collar with a thick pressure plate?

Carl, thanks for explaining the thick vs thin pressure plates I was unaware of this. What would the symptoms be of using the wrong style collar with your clutch? for example, using a short collar with a thin pressure plate or using a longer collar with a thick pressure plate?

Short collar with thin pressure plate - the clutch will not disengage fully when you step on the clutch pedal. You'll grind gears when shifting, if you can get it in gear with the engine running to begin with.

Long collar with thick pressure plate - the clutch will slip because the release bearing will always be putting some pressure on the clutch pressure plate fingers.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Edited by Carl Beck

Well, I played with the free play at the clutch master and I also confirmed I had the proper amount of free play between the clutch fork and slave cylinder rod. I went for a drive and it was no different. I was hoping for an improvement but it was slipping just as bad.

You've got a bad clutch disc or pressure plate IMHO. If you've got any play between your slave cylinder rod and the clutch fork and it still slips, you've got a clutch problem. Replace the pressure plate and disc.....you can go back with the 240z stuff.....it'll be plenty of clutch for your L28. The only other thing it could be is a 280 collar used with a 240Z pressure plate. Did you use the 240z collar with the 240z clutch?

Edited by Diseazd

I did use the 240z collar. I literally took everything off the L24/4spd tranny including the collar and clutch fork and swapped it over to the L28/5spd tranny. I have ordered a 240z centerforce 1 clutch kit from msa which uses a 280z collar. I will keep you guys posted as to what happens when I get that installed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, need help here! My 240z with a L28 swap and a 5 speed transmission (vin# 7528541) won't go into gear after parked for couple days! I was thinking of a new clutch but don't know the size or the right clutch to buy? Any Help! (I check the slave and it have enough movement).

Hey, need help here! My 240z with a L28 swap and a 5 speed transmission (vin# 7528541) won't go into gear after parked for couple days! I was thinking of a new clutch but don't know the size or the right clutch to buy? Any Help! (I check the slave and it have enough movement).

Will it not go into gear with the engine running? Can you shift when the engine it not running? could be a bad clutch cylinder or the tranny is sticking. More common is a cylider is not working.

240Z clutch and pressure plate needs a 240Z collar. 280Z clutch and pressure plate needs a 280Z collar. 5 speed and 4 speed tranny's are the exact same dimensions.....it ain't the tranny you have to match, it's the clutch, pressure plate and collar that makes it work. It's that simple! Throw out bearings are the same for each.