IGNORED

Back to the paint shop (sigh).........grrrr

bpilati

Yes, it's back to the paint shop. After leaving the paint shop for the auto shop, the car was place on a lift and examined. Guess what was discovered? All the surfaces that face the ground was not painted properly, some merely coved in overspray. Anyone car to guess why? That's right, the painter was too lazy to bend over to get the bottom surfaces. You would have to lay on the ground to look up under the car to see this screw up. Am I frustrated after waiting 3 years for this car to come out of the paint shop? You damn straight I am. :disappoin

This is absolutely outrageous! :mad:

I'm beginning to think I'll never get this car back.

Thats a bigger problem than you think if its a 2 stage paint job (clear over basecoat). Be VERY careful when you pick the car up, check for blend lines and look at it carefuly (I call it EYE F@#FING) to make sure he reclears the entire car, jambs and all (with the glass out) all the way to the weatherstripping ribs. What a bummer.

Ya know, if the rest of the car is georgeous, the bottoms can be fixed. Request they fix it, but politely. Don't become the Z-owner they never want to see again because sure as chit, 2 weeks from now someone will ding your door and you'll have to go back to have THEM fix it. Don't burn bridges with your attitude. Just accept they got 80% and are now going to make it right.

When you're ready to pay $10,000 for a paint job, THEN you can throw a hissy fit when it's not perfect.

My guess: Your paint guy is over six feet tall.

Hey, if there's no paint along the bottoms surfaces, I think I have a right to expect paint on it. Sorry, but where the hell are you guys coming from? They didn't even seam seal the weld joints under the fenders. I let them have the car for 3 freaking years, and I get this. Do I really sound that impatient given all this?? I serious doubt that it didn't get painted because I didn't pay them $10K to fill their spray gun with paint. After $3K of sheetmetal work and $6500 worth of painting, I want paint where it should be painted.

Edited by bpilati

While I would be polite in bringing this serious flaw in a paint job to the painters attention-is this guy a professional or is this his first car...I would be livid to find that after three years of waiting, form a shop that is at least 3 years old... The painter should be embarrassed that he allowed that out of his shop as a completed job, and all over himself to make it right-and keep it quiet. That is a shade tree-rookie mistake, not something any person who considers himself a professional would ever want associated with his shop and proved by a receipt or cancelled check.

Edited by hls30.com

Hey, if there's no paint along the bottoms surfaces, I think I have a right to expect paint on it. Sorry, but where the hell are you guys coming from? They didn't even seam seal the weld joints under the fenders. I let them have the car for 3 freaking years, and I get this. Do I really sound that impatient given all this?? I serious doubt that it didn't get painted because I didn't pay them $10K to fill their spray gun with paint. After $3K of sheetmetal work and $6500 worth of painting, I want paint where it should be painted.

Boy, that must be so frustrating. This is the very reason I do just about everything myself now. I am sure that I care a lot more about my car than the person working on it. As a result, I pay a lot more attention to detail.

This is the very reason I got into doing my own zinc plating. I wasn’t very happy with the shop that did my plating work, it was to dark and not shiney like my NOS parts, so I started doing it myself. I now think I can do better work than the plating shop, and I get exactly what I want.

I wasn’t thrilled with my second Maaco paint job. It was OK, but like your car, they missed areas on the underside. As a result, I will be doing my own painting on my roadster restoration. (I actually painted a roadster about 30 years ago and it came out great.) By doing it myself, I get exactly what I put into it, and exactly what I want, or I do it over.

I am a firm believer in the saying,” If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself”.

Best regards,

Rich

Bryan;

Did you ever get a WRITTEN agreement with the shop doing the work, specifying what they would/would not do?

While a verbal agreement is more difficult to enforce, some terms are defineable such that a "paint job" is understood to mean ALL of the exterior of a vehicle and not just what's visible from a bird's eye view.

Aside from that, it sounds as though the paint guy was rushing your job and got careless. Regardless of the expense (and it's on him) he needs to make the job right... even if it means sanding to Primer/Sealer and re-shooting color and clear.

Otherwise, take it to a different shop, pay to have it done properly and then sue the first shop for the cost of rectifying their mistake.

Sorry to hear of the problems.

E

While I would be polite in bringing this serious flaw in a paint job to the painters attention-is this guy a professional or is this his first car...I would be livid to find that after three years of waiting, form a shop that is at least 3 years old... The painter should be embarrassed that he allowed that out of his shop as a completed job, and all over himself to make it right-and keep it quiet. That is a shade tree-rookie mistake, not something any person who considers himself a professional would ever want associated with his shop and proved by a receipt or cancelled check.

This is a real paint shop booths and all. They've been around for many years, wonder how much paint is missing from the cars of other customers. Granted it's primarily a collision shop, but they stripped this car down to metal, redid body work, primed, sanded, primed, blah blah blah....then base/clear. There are some other mistake too, but this is the biggy. I had all glass out and hardware off.