IGNORED

Stock Speakers - Just One Of Them?

Captain Obvious

A thought I have had is that the bass response could be improved if there could be a flexible seal of some kind that would seal the speaker (acoustically if I can use that term) to the plastic trim piece. I don't know if ordinary closed cell glued to the speaker side of the rear plastic panel around the holes would work. I am going from memory on how my first 240Z sounded with its stock speaker, I haven't used the stock radio speaker yet in my current car as someone put in an aftermarket radio. Anyone here study speaker enclosures?

Zedyonne or Arne,

Can you give me the model number of the Kenwood speaker you used and where you bought it?

I can't remember if this is the exact model I used, or is the replacement. Kenwood KFC-1352S, I bought mine from Amazon as no one local stocked such a basic unit.

I just took a look back through some of the FSM's and it appears that the transition from back by the antenna to up right behind the seats ocurred between 76 and 77.

72 - Fig BE-38 - Back left near antenna

73 - Fig BE-38 - Back left near antenna

74 - Fig BE-129 - Back left near antenna

76 - Fig BE-136 - Back left near antenna

77 - Fig BE-140 - Back right behind pass seat

So what about the trim piece around the rear quarter windows? I've seen them on ebay listed by years, but most of the ones I've seen for 77-78 have the speaker hole perfs in them.

I'm guessing that everything prior to 77 was solid, and everything after was perforated on both sides?

So what about the trim piece around the rear quarter windows? I've seen them on ebay listed by years, but most of the ones I've seen for 77-78 have the speaker hole perfs in them.
The perforations near the quarter windows are for the vents under the Z emblems, not speakers. No speakers were ever offered there.

The perforations near the quarter windows are for the vents under the Z emblems, not speakers. No speakers were ever offered there.

Just to clarify what I'm talking about, mounts for speakers were designed and engineered into both left and right sides, and the perforations for the speakers ( as opposed to the higher up and further forward perforations for the quarter panel vents ) were on both sides accordingly.

From the attached factory parts list illustration:

KEY NO. 13

27340-E4125 KIT-SPEAKER ( RADIO AM 5 BUTTAN [sic])

29240-E4225 KIT-SPEAKER RH ( AM 8TR STEREO )

29240-E4125 KIT-SPEAKER LH ( AM 8TR STEREO )

post-2116-14150819518241_thumb.jpg

And just to clarify what I'm talking about... I'm talking about the perforations below the quarter windows on both sides right behind the seats.

77quartertrim.jpg

The ones that are right on top of the speakers that mount there. Page BE-5 of the 77 FSM:

77speaker.jpg

It's looking like earlier years didn't put speakers there, but later years clearly did. I'm out of town, but I'll snap some pics when I get a chance.

It's looking like earlier years didn't put speakers there, but later years clearly did. I'm out of town, but I'll snap some pics when I get a chance.
Correct, no speakers there in any 240Z.

Correct, no speakers there in any 240Z.

Right. That's what I posted that I found in the FSM's as well. But it's not just the 240... The 260Z also had a speaker back by the antenna, as did the first two years of the 280Z.

But what I'm talking about are the models that DID have the speaker locations below the quarter windows right behind the seats and have perfs in the trim panels for the speakers. That's what I found on mine.

I'm pretty sure that we're both saying the same thing, but you threw me a little when you said that "no speakers were ever offered there".

There were most definately speakers offered there... But not until 1977. We're all saying the same thing, right? :classic:

• 3 years later...
On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2012 at 10:34 PM, Arne said:

The single speaker in the 240Z was on the left side, as shown here (with a Kenwood speaker in the stock bracket):

attachment.php?attachmentid=54690

I re-bent a second stock bracket to put a second speaker on the right side (same Kenwood installed):

attachment.php?attachmentid=54691

DSC_0669.jpg

DSC_0670.jpg

I am looking to add a passenger side speaker as well. I think I will make up a bracket based on the drivers side. Like those speakers!

Well, before you do that, there was a guy making them a number of years ago and I bought one to do this. I put decent speakers in there, BUT the sound was very disappointing...kind of "boomy" and it rattled the plastic panels making them buzz. Also that layout kind of canceled the sound from the speakers out. If you laid your head between them it was OK, but in real life not so much. When I re-did my interior I removed them and got a speaker panel from MSA for the rear utilizing 6X9s (JVCs). It was much better. I then added a pair of Rockford Fosgate 5 1/4s to the kick panels using Derek's plastic panels. I finished the speaker system off with a pair of Sony tweeters glued to the eyeball vents. Nice sound. BUT above 70 mph the wind noise cancels it all out no matter how loud you play the tunes, so that's just one man's experience.

Cheers, Mike

Its ok if not great, I am really not into listening to music much while I drive, just want it to be functional, Right now I have an old 8 track am/fm which is fine, the speakers are some odd ball config with two mounted in pods to the rear tail light panel and a single speaker in a pod hanging under the dash on the passenger side. I think the two are hooked together for left, and the single hanging under the dash right. Very odd. What got me going on this is I had to pull the passenger side panel to get to the filler neck (got a nice newly plated one to replace the rusted one) and seeing as I finally figured out how to pull that panel figured it would be a good time to look into speakers.

Edited by Dave WM