IGNORED

Stock Speakers - Just One Of Them?

Captain Obvious

So I've been removing the radio that my previous owner put in and as part of that removal process, I have turned up what look to be the original pair of wires for the stock speaker below the rear quarter window on the passenger side. However, I did not turn up a pair of similar wires on the driver's side.

Went to the FSM and it appears that there was only one speaker on the original radio system, and it was on the pass side. Is that correct?

Interesting though... I've got symmetric factory mounting holes in the body on both sides. Just below the quarter windows for speakers on each side, but at the factory, they only ever populated one of them? They never put a speaker on the driver's side?

TIA for enlightenment.

Thanks guys for the confirmation. I'll stop looking for the wires for the other side speaker.

As for which side it's on... I can confirm from very recent experience that the one and only one speaker is on the passenger side. At least in 77. They may have put it on the driver's side in other years, but my car matches the FSM and it's on the right side.

Both sides were perf'd, though.

You mean that both sides had perforations in the trim panels for the speakers regardless if they were there or not?

Thanks guys for the confirmation. I'll stop looking for the wires for the other side speaker.

As for which side it's on... I can confirm from very recent experience that the one and only one speaker is on the passenger side. At least in 77. They may have put it on the driver's side in other years, but my car matches the FSM and it's on the right side.

You mean that both sides had perforations in the trim panels for the speakers regardless if they were there or not?

Yes, that's what he's saying.

Chuck

The single speaker in the 240Z was on the left side, as shown here (with a Kenwood speaker in the stock bracket):

attachment.php?attachmentid=54690

I re-bent a second stock bracket to put a second speaker on the right side (same Kenwood installed):

attachment.php?attachmentid=54691

post-8596-14150819515211_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150819515443_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The Kenwoods were one of the few I found that would fit. You can't use a speaker that has a protruding tweeter back there, the plastic panel sits too close to the speaker.

Went to the FSM and it appears that there was only one speaker on the original radio system, and it was on the pass side. Is that correct?

Interesting though... I've got symmetric factory mounting holes in the body on both sides. Just below the quarter windows for speakers on each side, but at the factory, they only ever populated one of them? They never put a speaker on the driver's side?

Markets other than the USA / North American market got the option of a Stereo AM-FM radio ( and Stereo 8-track player ) as extra cost showroom 'Factory' options, and these cars - of course - got two rear speakers.

That's why your car has speaker mounting points and the perforations in the rear trim panels on both sides, despite the fact that it only ever had one speaker. The bodyshell and the rear trim panels catered for both possibilities, like so many other details on our cars.....

Alan T.

I just did the same modification Arne. I put in two speakers and I think I used kenwoods as well. You are right, there is not much out there in that size that shallow.

Zedyonne or Arne,

Can you give me the model number of the Kenwood speaker you used and where you bought it?

Does anyone have an old factory speaker that I can salavge the bracket from? I am reinsalling the AM/FM factory radio in my 72Z.

Edited by mgmoreau