IGNORED

Hydrogen Z?

Mike

I ran into a guy today in Corvallis, OR who has a 240z running on Hydrogen. I introduced myself and asked him to come and visit the club. Anyway, the brief conversation I had with him was interesting. He popped his hood and showed me some kind of container that looked like a water filter connected to the intake on the engine. The whole conversation lasted about 5-10 minutes but I would like to know more about this kind of modification. He also mentioned a hydrogen fuel cell in the car. But, I was thinking the whole time this must be some kind of fuel cell technology? Separation of the hydrogen from the oxygen (ie: water car). I don't know much about it, but, when he took me to the back of the car, he put his hand up to the tail pipe and commented on the low temperature and the fact that only water vapor comes out....

Anyone here have experience or know of this kind of mod for a car? Or, better yet, maybe he joined the club and can tell us more about his modification?

Mike

• Like 1

Hydrogen has a low energy density. You would need a large tank or high pressure tank to store.

Fuel cells combine hydrogen and water to make electricity.

Hydrolosis (breaking water down into hydrogen and oxygen, aka Brown's gas) requires more energy to create the hydrogen and oxygen than you get out via combustion.

I remember discussions about Brown's gas over at Zcar.com a couple of years ago. I won't even justify a link to the thread.

I am highly skeptical.

Mike,

Is there a contact point for the person you spoke with?

Mike

No, unfortunately I didn't get his name or contact information. I gave him the domain name to our club, so I am hoping he joins. I would really like to understand how he did that. Our paths crossing was a huge coincidence and the only reason I stopped to talk with him was due to our shopping at Home Depot. I saw his yellow 240z and decided to invite him to the club. This is a university town, so, I wouldn't be surprised if he was an intellectual that probably works at Oregon State University. Believe it or not, we do have a nuclear reactor on campus, so, I know there has got to be a few chemical engineers around. Damn, now I really wish I traded info with him.

m

I remember the news reporting the installation of some infrastructure for hydrogen fuel stations back a few year ago. The infrastructure is limited to approximately 19 states. California has the most hydrogen fuel stations with an estimated 21 to 50 with the remaining 18 states having 10 or less hydrogen fuel stations. The point being that his Z may be converted to hydrogen. There are no hydrogen fuel stations listed in Oregon.

JLP

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/fuels/hydrogen_locations.html

Edited by JLPurcell

Oh, you could use the stock motor for hydrogen, but I believe there would be a custom intake, and it would be much more that just something that looks like a water filter.

I do agree that it's probably a Brown's gas folly. Most HHO enthusiasts are more interested in conspiracy theories than science and engineering.

Sounds like what he has is a catalytic hydrogen generator. GM & BMW were both looking at that technology in the early 1990's. Know of a small, (now defunct) company that made a similar device and had a VW powered by the system. High cost per BTU vs. gasoline and low output limited power / speed.