IGNORED

71' Refresher project starts

grnsky

Thought I would start a thread in lieu of finally getting my 71 running this weekend!!!!

The car had been in a 5 year hiatus before I bought it, and due to other projects has sat for another 2 years while in my possession.

But on this memorial day weekend I was determined to get as much done as possible with the single goal of getting it going.

The car came with a l28 head l24 combo:sick:, which also happened to be missing a valve guide. The engine was swapped out for an l24 block early e88 head courtesy of CL.

I installed the engine a while back, had the SU's rebuilt, and toyed with ideas of elec ignition.

Yesterday, with everything hooked up, stock points distributor installed it started right up and rev'd great! Never mind the clould of smoke!

Today we installed the E12-80 distributor and did some further syncing of the the carbs. Idles really well,

Really happy with the progress! As any running Z gets the nod in my book :D:D

Future plans ? Just to get it on the road again. Brakes and clutch need to be gone through, Have ordered both slave and master clutch cylinders, as were both shot.

Theres some pics

post-22306-14150819012916_thumb.jpg

post-22306-14150819013525_thumb.jpg

Will be sure to bring her by Rich as she is now running under her own power!!!!!!

A new Sachs clutch master cycl does a great job of putting the car in motion!! I did some victory laps in my friends back yard to celebrate!!

The original 4spd feels super smooth also! No grinding at all. Am impressed.

Also installed a 280zx starter motor (gear reduction) that I pulled from my stash of parts. It is a great improvement. Starts up in a second.

Current TD list:

Brakes need some attention, - Install new master, bleed syst, see about some movement

Rear end clunk noted, - Install a new mount.

Theres the shot taken from the phone. So happy with the progress!

post-22306-14150819102206_thumb.jpg

Progress continues!

Rear drums were removed the other day, only through the aid of applied heat. They eventually came off to reveal so fairly tired looking shoes and alot of grit. Wheel cylinders looked good. After a quick clean up, new shoes were installed, and tensioned. Both drums were then bled after replacing the rear hoses. the whole evolution being a complete success.

Pedal feels good, but will have to wait for first real test drive on the street to see how everything reacts.

Still have a diff mount and a new rear seal for the gearbox to install. Before the weekend test drive!

Having a garage full of 240 parts has definitely kept most of the costs down but am in the same boat as everyone else when it comes to refreshing.

It needs almost all of its weather stripping replaced, suspension bits, and other misc interior work...

First test drive complete!

Installed new rear tranny seal, and diff mount. My friend did a great job of installing the diode to make the 280zx alternator upgrade work,(allowing the car to turn off)

With minor tuning of the carbs she set down the road. Motor feels good, no clunks, grinds or fires to put out. Brakes also do a good job. The car now starts, runs, stops, and turns off no problems.

Also picked up some Kia Sportage w/stripping from the Jyard early this morning. Will give them a shot at some point.

List of things to do:

- Check driving lights

- Fix both window regulators

-Complete suspension overall...

Extremely happy to have it driving (:

• 2 weeks later...

Made some minor progress with the car lately. On the road to functionality,

- I pulled the drivers door apart to get the regulator out as the window was pretty much dysfunctional. I cleaned all the old crud off the runners and regulators and reinstalled. It winds great now, but needs more adjusting to line everything up.

- Also got started with the weatherstripping. I pulled of the old stuff (which made a complete mess) and installed the new, and trimed about an inch off. Door closes fine and the fit was great. More testing to come. Theres a pic of the old stuff.post-22306-14150819335212_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Semi finished with the w/stripping refresh. Decided to do an engine bay refresh, before putting back on the road.

Complete susp bushing kit arrived in the mail and awaits installation.

Theres the engine before I pulled it this morn.

post-22306-1415081945498_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...