IGNORED

horn not wokring, help?

bhermes

This may sound stupid; however, I really do not know how a horn functions. My horn in my 76 Z is not working. I have removed the center part of the steering wheel and the plastic piece directly behind the steering wheel. After that I am not sure what I should be looking for. Where is the horn? What other parts need to be considered? I did check the fuse. I looked at a couple previous posts on this topic but did not understand the details.

Any help would be appreciated.

There are two horns in the front of the car. A high and low note just behind the front grill. have you looked under the horn pad? if the spring is missing it will not work. also make sure that the curved wiper is in contact with the wheel. check the horns for proper ground and pos conections.

There is also a relay in the passenger kick panel area. Look at the BE section of the FSM. I had problems with my horn recently. A new relay fixed it. Anyway, it's not a bad idea to test the old relay to see if it still works.

On my car when I had the horn button off I could ground the metal plate that was behind the horn button with a wire and I could hear the click from the relay in the passenger foot well easily. One metal plate gets pushed into the other to ground the horn relay, I don't know if they all work like that.

OK, hopefully I am not banned from the forum. After looking at the FSM and finally realizing where the horn is located, I beleive that I have no horn. The FSM mentions two horns. Are these sold seperately and are the mounted together somehow. I am trying to located the wiring and not sure if there is a connector at the horn. I have a unused two pin connector in that area but not sure if for horn or side light.

A side note: I also noticed a 3 prong plug that appears to go to the engine block. I assume a heater. I guess an after market modification. Any insight here would also be appreciated.

Sold separately? No. The horns should be in the space between the grill and the radiator.

To determine what the 2 pin connector is for, look at the wiring diagram. It will tell you what color wires should be running to the horn.

As for the three prong connector, post a picture of it, describe WHERE around the engine block you found it, and describe the wire colors going to it. Otherwise, you may just get more guesses than answers.

I checked the FSM and it appears one GW to the first horn an another GW to the second from the first horn. I have none of this wiring. The two pin connector appears to be for the side light. I have one on each side of the car. One side has the mating harness to the side light location. I have neither side lights.

I guess I will be running new wiring just not sue where to go from the horn to what?

I checked the FSM and it appears one GW to the first horn an another GW to the second from the first horn. I have none of this wiring. The two pin connector appears to be for the side light. I have one on each side of the car. One side has the mating harness to the side light location. I have neither side lights.

I guess I will be running new wiring just not sue where to go from the horn to what?

Bruce,

I'm not sure what you're asking. The FSM has the layout of the circuit on BE-61, shown below.

post-5413-14150819032935_thumb.jpg

This shows the complete circuit, including the connectors where the wires pass. Unless someone hacked into the wiring harness, the Green/White wire is probably still lurking around the space between the grille and radiator, most likely coming from the engine harness from around the passenger side.

• Like 1